• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Upgrades for HP Laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

My girlfriend has an HP laptop that's about 2 years old, and starting to show it's age. It's an HP DV6704nr, with an AMD Athlon TK-57 and 2gb of ram. A 4gb kit of ram is easy enough to pick out, but don't know what CPU to pick out. Looking here, found out its an S1 socket CPU, but have no idea what could be gotten for it. Looking for just a little bit of guidance, never really messed around with the laptop side of computers heh.

Would something like this be able to be dropped in? Seems like a reasonable upgrade, a nice boost in speed and 4x the amount of L2 cache.

I should not that this is mainly for just browsing the internet and watching movies, the most gaming that gets done on it is PetVille on Facebook.

Do you know a place where I could find that out?

Look up the model number of the laptop and see what other CPU choices are available. Then you'll have an idea what you can get.

However, cleaning up the crap that probably should not be on the laptop would speed it up as well.. and be zero cost to you...

She's a girl (no offense to the ladies here :) ), so it becomes so bloated with viruses and spyware after about a month of use, it does get wiped clean just about every 2 months. Still looking for something a little on the hardware side as well though.

hey there, i have a dv6704nr too and i went on a limb and bought the fastest processor amd makes for our socket and it worked, the turion tl-68 2.4gh works perfectly, i notice and increse in performance from the old athlon 1.9ghz, the only problem the processor is a little expensive for a 2 yr old processor (about 200 bucks on ebay) for the same price u can get a intel i5 or i7 which is far much faster for the price.

If she is constantly loading spyware/viruses, then a good investment would be a external drive. Fresh install everything. Do a Windows Disk Image. Every time it gets cluttered, just reinstall the image, quick painless and fresh install.

Back