• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player (Win7) problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tadlockje

Registered
I somehow managed to uninstall WMP12. No idea how I did it, but it's gone. I tried a reinstall of Win7, but it just restored it to the settings immediately before the reinstall, and didn't install WMP.

Any idea how I can get it back? There's no download for it on the windows site (not 12, at least).

You might be able to reinstall it by going to Programs and Features in the Control Panel, selecting the "Turn Windows features on or off" thing, and check the WMP checkbox.

Why do you want it? I spend my time uninstalling it, not getting it back...

Thanks a ton. I'm still learning Win7, obviously, and I can't believe I clicked that off at some point. Microsoft actually wanted me to pay 30 dollars for them to answer that question.

As to why I want it... it's just what I'm familiar with. I'd gladly entertain ideas of any better alternatives if you're suggesting any.

I use Foobar2000 for music. It's very lightweight and has a lot of options. There's a bit of a learning curve (it's not the most user-friendly app, and they admit it) but once you get used to it it's wonderful.

For movies and such, you really can't beat Media Player Classic and the CCCP codec pack. Plays absolutely everything you could want with no hassles.

Back