• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Map a network drive from another place?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

Can you map a drive or add it to your network and vise versa if it's from a different place.

i.e. my buddy's pc on his network 2 miles away(distance is irrelevant), can I add him to my network and me to his network without doing all that VPN hassle, his pc is W7 just like mine, his brothers pc is vista, and the pc in the garage is xp on wireless. I want to be able to access music, shop manuals while we are out in the shop working and such. Can we do it without VPN and alot of hassle?

Can you map a drive or add it to your network and vise versa if it's from a different place.

i.e. my buddy's pc on his network 2 miles away(distance is irrelevant), can I add him to my network and me to his network without doing all that VPN hassle, his pc is W7 just like mine, his brothers pc is vista, and the pc in the garage is xp on wireless. I want to be able to access music, shop manuals while we are out in the shop working and such. Can we do it without VPN and alot of hassle?

IMO this is a situation where I would use VPN. Opening SMB or NetBIOS through your router would, IMO, make you a prime target for unwanted/malicious visitors.

IMO this is a situation where I would use VPN. Opening SMB or NetBIOS through your router would, IMO, make you a prime target for unwanted/malicious visitors.

ok but my wife's laptop when connected to her works VPN wouldn't let her on the browser.. and when I tried this through windows VPN it wouldn't let my buddy on the net either(and he couldn't see any of my drives(which are all shared).

Check out LogMeIn Hamachi. Just make a logmein account, install hamachi on your computer, then you can generate an invite URL from your logmein account and give to your friend. He then installs the client and enters the network name and password. You can then access each others shares as if you were on the same physical network, provided your software firewalls are configured.

You'll also be able to browse the web through your normal connection.

Back