• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making first rig, what order?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I will be making my first rig, ever. I've never done it before. Is there a specific order in which I should insert my hardware into the case? Or not necessarily a specific order, but a good one that allows me for easy change etc.

Or rather said: What is the order you would do this in?

My rig is in my sig.

Its just a logical process really. Here is a video for you that I found: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/video_how_build_pc_ever_step_explained

Personally, I mount the mobo in the case, then the PSU, then the HDD, Optical, CPU, RAM, GPU, then beging the wire management phase and start connecting... You *may* want to connect all the front panel stuff (audio/usb/power/reset etc) to the board first after its mounted in the case as sometimes, depending on a couple item's orientation, it can be a bit tricky to reach those areas.

EDIT: Dont forget to use the little brass risers so the motherboard isnt touching the mobo tray.

+ what turbo said, mount cooler to mobo first, especially if its a bolt through model.

Last edited:
Good point. Wasnt sure if he was getting an aftermarket one. Soooo many threads created...I dont recall. But yeah, that is a good idea, good call! :)

I usually follow a similar pattern. CPU to motherboard, put that in the case. Then powersupply,optical drives, harddrives. Then ram, video card, other pci-e cards.

Finally I connect everything and make sure all plugs are tight.

Cable management comes later for me after the computer is all boot up and working.

Thank you all for your replies.

Its just a logical process really. Here is a video for you that I found: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/video_how_build_pc_ever_step_explained

Personally, I mount the mobo in the case, then the PSU, then the HDD, Optical, CPU, RAM, GPU, then beging the wire management phase and start connecting... You *may* want to connect all the front panel stuff (audio/usb/power/reset etc) to the board first after its mounted in the case as sometimes, depending on a couple item's orientation, it can be a bit tricky to reach those areas.

EDIT: Dont forget to use the little brass risers so the motherboard isnt touching the mobo tray.

+ what turbo said, mount cooler to mobo first, especially if its a bolt through model.

Do those brass risers come with the case? The case I use now, I put the motherboard in myself, it is not right up against the wall of the case, nor can I remember putting any brass risers in.

I found that somtimes mouting the cpu heatsink on the mobo first makes things a lot easyier!!!

Thank you. I'll do that.

Good point. Wasnt sure if he was getting an aftermarket one. Soooo many threads created...I dont recall. But yeah, that is a good idea, good call! :)

I'm sorry for making so many threads, I'll try to keep my questions into as less threads as possible.

Please dont apologize, they were all good legit threads and questions. As you can see I reply A LOT when Im at work and its mostly me for posting in everything I can help in... ;)

Yes, they come with the case. Some have them mounted already, some dont though.

Some cases have built in risers rather then the brass ones.

I like to install the cpu heatsink first if i can, especially with pushpin heatsinks.

Please dont apologize, they were all good legit threads and questions. As you can see I reply A LOT when Im at work and its mostly me for posting in everything I can help in... ;)

Yes, they come with the case. Some have them mounted already, some dont though.

Alright :rolleyes: I hope so. I guess I'll take the job of keeping you busy at work then. What do you do that gives you so much time not to do your job?

Some cases have built in risers rather then the brass ones.

I like to install the cpu heatsink first if i can, especially with pushpin heatsinks.

Yeah, it's the stock one, which has pushpins (and it's REALLY annoying)

Mainframe Operations/Administration... Its feast or famine and since we have only one project on that I am only in a supporting role, mostly famine. My team has this down pat. ;)

Pushpin tips:

1) Chuck it and buy a bolt through xigmatek hdt-1283. :D
2) Failing that, carefully push just the white portion of the pushpin till it goes click all the way through the mobo.
3) Do that for all four.
4) Then, while holdiing the white portion in, support the back of the mobo right by the pin, and push the black portion in till it gives a nice solid click.

That's the only way i was ever able to get my OEM intel heatsink to mount solidly. Trying to just push the black part like the instructions said never worked. I finally said to hell with it and bought a bolt through cooler.

The above order is what i do, too. PSU goes into the case first though. That may only be because i've been working with old (2002ish) cases that give very little room between mobo and PSU, if i put the mobo in first i can just barely, if at all, get the PSU in.
Modern cases seem to have more room.

In the old days (i built 'em as a business from 96 to 99) you had to put the hard drives in first, as they had to go through space occupied by the mobo when it was installed.
Everything, top to bottom front to back, is much easier now. Be happy :D

EDIT:
Except heatsink mounting. That was lousy in the early days, and was a bit better by the time i quit, and has now gotten worse. Stupid pushpins :p

Mainframe Operations/Administration... Its feast or famine and since we have only one project on that I am only in a supporting role, mostly famine. My team has this down pat. ;)

Ah, right. Well thanks for all the help anyways.

Btw: Is this a good idea?

Pushpin tips:

1) Chuck it and buy a bolt through xigmatek hdt-1283. :D
2) Failing that, carefully push just the white portion of the pushpin till it goes click all the way through the mobo.
3) Do that for all four.
4) Then, while holdiing the white portion in, support the back of the mobo right by the pin, and push the black portion in till it gives a nice solid click.

That's the only way i was ever able to get my OEM intel heatsink to mount solidly. Trying to just push the black part like the instructions said never worked. I finally said to hell with it and bought a bolt through cooler.

The above order is what i do, too. PSU goes into the case first though. That may only be because i've been working with old (2002ish) cases that give very little room between mobo and PSU, if i put the mobo in first i can just barely, if at all, get the PSU in.
Modern cases seem to have more room.

In the old days (i built 'em as a business from 96 to 99) you had to put the hard drives in first, as they had to go through space occupied by the mobo when it was installed.
Everything, top to bottom front to back, is much easier now. Be happy :D

EDIT:
Except heatsink mounting. That was lousy in the early days, and was a bit better by the time i quit, and has now gotten worse. Stupid pushpins :p

It doesn't work for me though, I just have to be lucky. Because when I try to push the white portion in, the thing goes in completely. And then it's loose when I try the other end. I have to be lucky with it. Four times.

Dont forget to use the little brass risers so the motherboard isnt touching the mobo tray.

That is one of the most improtant things about using a brand new case too;
make sure they (the standoffs) are all there and in the right place!!
If using the metal ones just one in the wrong place can be desasterous.

just count the holes on the board (usually 6~9), make sure thats all thats in there, and make sure every screw you put in grabs somthing.

That is one of the most improtant things about using a brand new case too;
make sure they (the standoffs) are all there and in the right place!!
If using the metal ones just one in the wrong place can be desasterous.

just count the holes on the board (usually 6~9), make sure thats all thats in there, and make sure every screw you put in grabs somthing.

Thanks for the heads up!

How disastrous?

I've had to simply install one pin completely, then move to the one across from it. Doesn't distribute non-OEM thermal glop very well, but it still works better then a partially installed pin.

What i don't like is how it twists the board into a pretzel.

EDIT:
Very disastrous.

I've had to simply install one pin completely, then move to the one across from it. Doesn't distribute non-OEM thermal glop very well, but it still works better then a partially installed pin.

What i don't like is how it twists the board into a pretzel.

EDIT:
Very disastrous.

I'll try that. Thank you.

I just checked the whole video. It's really good and I'll watch this on a laptop while I do the real deal. Thanks a lot!

When I mount a push pin type cooler, I put the cooler down onto the CPU as flat as I possibly can. I then wiggle the push pins until they go through the mounting holes in the mobo. From there, I put one hand under the board, supporting it at the holes, and push 2 opposing pins at the same time. In other words, top right and bottom left at the same time. Then from there I do the other two corners, at the same time again. The reason for this is to try to get the mount as flat as possible, with the most contact. The better the mount, the less risk of high temps you will see. Doing one corner at a time will cause an uneven mount, no matter how you do it. You will have to push hard on the pins to get them to click in, but no need to worry about the board. It will flex some while you are doing it, but not enough to hurt anything. I haven't yet had a board damaged from installing that way.

When I mount a push pin type cooler, I put the cooler down onto the CPU as flat as I possibly can. I then wiggle the push pins until they go through the mounting holes in the mobo. From there, I put one hand under the board, supporting it at the holes, and push 2 opposing pins at the same time. In other words, top right and bottom left at the same time. Then from there I do the other two corners, at the same time again. The reason for this is to try to get the mount as flat as possible, with the most contact. The better the mount, the less risk of high temps you will see. Doing one corner at a time will cause an uneven mount, no matter how you do it. You will have to push hard on the pins to get them to click in, but no need to worry about the board. It will flex some while you are doing it, but not enough to hurt anything. I haven't yet had a board damaged from installing that way.

Alright, I'll try that. I'll have to take the board out. But it was a real trouble doing this when the board is inside the case. That's what I did last time. I suppose that was the root of my problems. I needed like 20 minutes to get it installed.

You are much better off doing it with the board piside of the case. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first one being that you take a chance of cracking the board, which won't be good no matter how you look at it. The other is that when the board is in the case, it is a lot harder to double check the pins and make sure they are actually seated all the way.

You are much better off doing it with the board piside of the case. There are a couple of reasons for this. The first one being that you take a chance of cracking the board, which won't be good no matter how you look at it. The other is that when the board is in the case, it is a lot harder to double check the pins and make sure they are actually seated all the way.

Yes, last time it flexed a lot, and the manual kept stating I had to use a lot of force. I was really scared of breaking it in two pieces. Thanks a lot for that. When my new case gets here I'll have to do all of it beside it anyway.

Thanks to everyone who put an effort in helping me. I will probably start a new topic when it gets here in february and moan about something that's not working or I can't do it correctly. :rolleyes:

Back