• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the correct wayb to apply thermal paste onto heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kucf.

Registered
Ive been looking around and I see people who say dont spread out thermal paste just put a pea sized dab on it and let the heatsink decide where it wants the thermal paste to go. Then theres others who say the opposite.

So What is the correct way to apply thermal paste onto heatsink?

there are tons of ways to do it, some of which you mentioned and some others.. first off what kind of system are we talking about.. chip, heatsink?

some newer chips its best to put a straight line along the top of the line of cores, some say the pea size (really smaller than an pea), some say 2-3 lines of paste, some say spread it out.. its tough to really say.. sometimes its trial and error for your own system

I use the pea method, but been reading that possibly across the cores from left to right is better.. ill try it at some point!

It really depends on the chip and the heatsink.
If it's an exposed die you must make absolutely sure the entire die is covered, so you spread it.
If it has a heat spreader and the bottom of the heatsink is flat, a round blob or a line can work better then spreading it.
If however it is a HDT/HTC cooler with exposed heatpipes, i've found that a line down each heatpipe and tiny lines on the spacers works the best.

bobnova I dont know if it has a heat spreader or not. I have a quad q8200 cpu. Does this have a heat spreader?

Also it is a coolermaster hyper tx3. I can see the heatpipes on the bottom so im guessing its exposed.

Also a side note. Im putting in the cpu cooler while the motherboard is in the case.

Also 1 more question. Do I need to apply thermal paste to the cooler and the cpu or just the cooler?

Last edited:
bobnova I dont know if it has a heat spreader or not. I have a quad q8200 cpu. Does this have a heat spreader?

Also it is a coolermaster hyper tx3. I can see the heatpipes on the bottom so im guessing its exposed.

Also a side note. Im putting in the cpu cooler while the motherboard is in the case.

Also 1 more question. Do I need to apply thermal paste to the cooler and the cpu or just the cooler?

One big recommendation first, take the board out of the case, otherwise you risk an uneven mount. The board will flex under the pressure required to seat the pins, which also means that the pins may not seat in the mounting holes properly.

As far as applying the thermal paste, you should apply it to the base of the heatsink if it is an exposed heatpipe type. If it is a solid base like a TRUE or Megahalems, then you would apply it to the IHS on the CPU.

I feel like we need a stickey on this topic as it come up quite often

The reason there is no sticky on this is because there is no definitive answer to the question. There are several different methods that different people use. The only good answer any of us can give, is to find what works best for you and go with it. I may use one method, while you use another, and the manufacturer recommends another method. Some people say spread it, some say a pea sized amount in the center, some say the line method, some say the line and a few BB sized spots at the corners.

You need to apply it only to the CPU.

Back