• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netflix Streaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zalophus

Registered
Currently have DSL with 1.5/320, and am consistently getting 1.3/3 and these speeds work fine for my uses.

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net] [/URL]
However, I am considering getting an HDTV/Blu-ray and would like to stream Netflix movies.

Two Q's:

1) What wireless modem do you recommend (everything will be in same room), and
2) will these speeds be adequate, for NetFlix streaming, and if not, then what is a basic connection I should be planning on.

I have access to Comcast, but it's about $40/month more, so would prefer not to switch.

Thanks

You will not be able to stream Netflix HD with those speeds ... MAYBE standard, but standard is worse than DVD quality, much worse.

I stream to my PS3 and Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 works fine, when I use 802.11a (5GHz) if I use 802.11b/g it works, but HD is hit or miss.

When streaming to the PS3 (which only takes 802.11b/g) the HD is hit or miss as well.

I have Comcast btw. I believe Netflix recommends like 10Mbs down to stream HD.

I have a Dlink DIR-628 dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz wireless router.

The SD netflix stuff is below DVD, but its not that bad. Not everything they offer is in HD either. What will happen if you don't have enough bandwidth is the feature will keep rebuffering, which can take a long time. I encounter it (with comcast) only if I'm downloading ten things already. Anyways, doesn't AT&T offer a 6mb downstream DSL option?

Do they even stream HD? They stream DVD quality stuff, but I'm getting 1.5-1.7MB downstream, and I haven't noticed any HD looking content.

It seems about 1/3 of their stuff is "Starz" which equates to crappy low def. rip. They should seriously get some of the piratebay guys to show them how to do it proper.

Don't get me wrong, I really like netflix streaming, but HD it is not.

Do they even stream HD? They stream DVD quality stuff, but I'm getting 1.5-1.7MB downstream, and I haven't noticed any HD looking content.

It seems about 1/3 of their stuff is "Starz" which equates to crappy low def. rip. They should seriously get some of the piratebay guys to show them how to do it proper.

Don't get me wrong, I really like netflix streaming, but HD it is not.

They do have hd on some movies but last I checked if you dont have a great connection they give you a different version of it.

I have extremely slow internet, to the point where I get kicked out of PC games for that reason, but I can stream netflex on my computer really well. You should be fine.

2) will these speeds be adequate, for NetFlix streaming, and if not, then what is a basic connection I should be planning on.

I have access to Comcast, but it's about $40/month more, so would prefer not to switch.

Thanks
Well for number 2 after checking my netflix there are hd movies but you will NOT get them at those speeds but im not sure how great your connection needs to be. I tested it on a 8mb connection and got hd and then running the same movie twice in a row did not yeild hd. Not sure why atm.

Back