• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next-gen nVidia product equiv. to ATI 5770?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x509

I'm not a gamer, but I am a photographer, so my need is for a card that allows significant performance boost via GPU offload to Adobe apps like Photoshop and Lightroom. :-/

I was thinking about the ATI 5570, because of its combination of performance, relative to older products, and its relatively low power consumption at idle. (I want to watercool both CPU and GPU with one loop.)

However, today a guy I know who worked at Adobe until two months ago told me that Adobe has always optimized its GPU offload for nVidia, not ATI, and recomended to me that I get an nVidia card for my next system. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me nVidia will be announcing soon that might be competitive with an ATI 5770-class card. :eh?:

Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. :confused: but I'm just joining this forum today. :eh?:

nVidia's offering is supposedly going to be released at the end of Q1 2010.

I have very little experience with photoshop, lightroom etc. but as far as I know they do not optimize for nvidia. It wouldn't make much sense to optimize for one company when so many people have the other. I'm not saying they don't, I don't know for sure, I'm just saying it wouldn't make sense to me.

I know some programs can take advantage of CUDA, which is nVidia only.

The guy I know, the ex-Adobe guy, said that Adobe tends to optimize around CUDA.

I have read the Adobe website, so I know that GPU support in CS 4 is somewhat limited, but as file sizes get larger, it becomes more and more important to leverage GPU capabilities to speed up screen redraws. I'm told that CS 5 will have further advances in this area over CS 4.

I should add that I tend to keep graphics cards for 2-3 years, since I'm not a gamer. Also, since Photoshop supports only one GPU, I have no need for a multi-GPU setup.

I appreciate all the comments. :D

x509

PS uses OpenGL, so it works on just about anything, at least anything that supports opengl.

My commtech professor uses ati radeon 5850's in all his PS machines, and they ran just fine ( much faster than the macs) in PS.

No doubt. The issue for me is whether an investment of N dollars would yield a faster performing Photoshop system, if I had a choice between "equivalent" ATI and nVidia products. :attn:

Thanks,

x509

No doubt. The issue for me is whether an investment of N dollars would yield a faster performing Photoshop system, if I had a choice between "equivalent" ATI and nVidia products.

I'd wait for the nvidia cards to come out and then get a 5770, because ati will most likely drop their prices. Besides I kind of doubt it will make much of a performance impact. If your deciding between two mid-power cards go with the cheaper one.

GTX 260 Core 216 is pretty close in performance, but its a last-gen card.

I'd wait for the nvidia cards to come out and then get a 5770, because ati will most likely drop their prices. Besides I kind of doubt it will make much of a performance impact. If your deciding between two mid-power cards go with the cheaper one.

Price is always a consideration, but "performance" for me is not game-related, but Photoshop-related. From what I can tell, Windows 7 Aero requirements are so "basic" that any decent card will run Aero OK.

x509

I'm not a gamer, but I am a photographer, so my need is for a card that allows significant performance boost via GPU offload to Adobe apps like Photoshop and Lightroom. :-/

I was thinking about the ATI 5570, because of its combination of performance, relative to older products, and its relatively low power consumption at idle. (I want to watercool both CPU and GPU with one loop.)

However, today a guy I know who worked at Adobe until two months ago told me that Adobe has always optimized its GPU offload for nVidia, not ATI, and recomended to me that I get an nVidia card for my next system. So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me nVidia will be announcing soon that might be competitive with an ATI 5770-class card. :eh?:

Sorry if I'm asking a question that has already been answered. :confused: but I'm just joining this forum today. :eh?:

That guy was an idiot and Nvidia doesn't have an equivalent to the 5770.

That guy was an idiot and Nvidia doesn't have an equivalent to the 5770.

Hey Zeus! You don't know this guy, I do. And he is decidedly NOT an idiot. :argue:

Anyway, I was really asking if/when nVidia might be announcing a next-gen card with performance at the ATI 5770 level.

x509

Hey Zeus! You don't know this guy, I do. And he is decidedly NOT an idiot. :argue:

Anyway, I was really asking if/when nVidia might be announcing a next-gen card with performance at the ATI 5770 level.

x509

Fermi will be out in 2 months and i think they're going after the 5870 at first and mainstream cards will be announced later

In theory Fermi will be out in two months. In reality, who knows.

It'll be some time after that before they start going after the mid range though.

Supposedly Nvidia only has a delay on the top end stuff, and the rest of the lineup will rollout very shortly after. Also supposedly, the next generation after Fermi will be out by the end of the year as well.

If you need a card now, go ahead and grab the 5770. If you can wait a couple months, go ahead and see what Nvidia brings to the table.

Back