• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Company 2 Proformance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

Specs are in the Sig. I understand this is a Beta and there will be optimization to come but I am surprised by the low performance I am getting from my computer. I usually am around 30FPS and it quite often drops for 25-27. Only playing at 1280x720 everything maxed except for the HOVE (whatever it is) and AAx1 ASx4. My TV is not TRUE 1080 and only 720 and computer rezs are weird in 1080. I did the trick with the direct X making it 9, though I dont know how that would help being Im using XP. Any ideas on what may be slowing me down?

beats me, I will check my FPS tonight with fraps, I am playing on HIGH settings with AA on (I forget what setting AA is on) @ 1680x1050 and it is smooth as butter.

have you de-fragged? whats running in the background? when did you last re-install your OS? When I was on XP I did a fresh install every 9 months or so, as the system just seemed to feel slow doing just about everything after awhile. Video drivers up to date?

I will say it looks way better than it did when I was in the PS3 Beta.

I am just throwing this out there, but you do have half the cpu cores than what is recommended. Otherwise, try to change bloom=false in the config files - it may help.

Last edited:
his dual core cpu is running at 3.62ghz , whats recommended? >.<

also SunTzu69 , what video card you have in your rig ?

his dual core cpu is running at 3.62ghz , whats recommended? >.<

also SunTzu69 , what video card you have in your rig ?

I am running at 5850 HD. The recommended cpu for this is nothing less than Quadcore. One of the reasons is that audio uses up a significant portion of one of your cpu cores, rather than use the sound card or on-board. DICE has released an article on this on battlefield.com I believe.

well that's stupid, Valve's last gamer survey stated only 24% of their PC gaming market is running on quadcore...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

guess my C2D is nearing end of life... Q.Q

Well, I wouldn't be disapointed too quickly. Wait and see what everyone says on performance at retail. I am sure there will be some C2D optimization guides as well - perhaps use another audio mode, etc.

There will be alot of discussion on this and what exactly is slowing some systems down. I may be completely off on this as well, but I did notice most people saying it runs great are on quads, and alot of people saying it's not smooth and suffers from low frames are on x2 cores.

DICE also releasing an article on why the game was so cpu heavy because of its audio prior to the beta is also an indication I guess (or a warning).

Thanks for the input guys.
To answer some questions:
First I just built this computer in September so the OS is pretty fresh. I defraged maybe 3 weeks ago. I only have like 60GB being used on my drive, so I can do that again in a sec. As far as programs running in the back, none really. Windows boots using around 400mb of Ram sometimes its mid/high 3's, so not a lot of my memory being used. Fraps runs sometimes but I really dont see a difference with it on in the back ground.
It would just be mind blowing that my CPU would be the issue. I know it recommends a quad core but there are people on the Steam forums that have 2.8ghz Core 2 Duos that are getting around 60 fps...Id like to think my CPU is faster. I know this is beta, and a patch or the finished products will most likely run better but I was wondering if anyone could sniff out issues just by seeing my sig or have any pointers on optimization.
I would like to point out that some people with SLI and single cards on the GTX 285 and ATI equivalent have had reports of framerate issues, but there are plenty of people who have comparable rigs and get much better framerates than me. I get better FPS in Crysis on very high settings. (config files changed) So it just leaves me to wonder.
I always wonder about more memory, its just XP uses so little memory I dont see the need. Appreciate any further assistance or opinions and again thanks for any and all input.

While your PC is good its not exactly top of the line anymore. You can't expect to max out new games, especially in their beta stage. You don't even have 4GB of ram, whereas many gamers have more than 4 now-a-days. Lower your shadows and disable the the bloom. I run smoothly at 1680x1050 with textures on high, shadows low, everything else medium, 1 AA and 4 AF. I'm not suprised as my PC is quite old.

I am running all high AA 16xQ AF 16x HBOA on and I get 35-38fps average. Low of 29 high of 65 on my Q6600 rig in my signature.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems like the right place to ask without needlessly starting a new topic.

I don't have a key so I can't test, but how would my computer run it? Would I have to play mostly on low/medium?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems like the right place to ask without needlessly starting a new topic.

I don't have a key so I can't test, but how would my computer run it? Would I have to play mostly on low/medium?

On beta med/low. Video card is a bit old. This is beta so hopefully it plays nicer with computers in the future, but I see a huge jump in requirements coming over the next year from games. I almost wish I had got a quadcore instead of my current CPU. People with 8800 are reporting FPS around 15-25 ave with med low settings.

This game is SO hit and miss with peoples rig specs. I see people running the exact same setup with one person getting poor framerate and the other getting 60+ with AA turned on.

I just dont get it, is the game that poorly optimized?

Hit and Miss for sure.

BF2 was originally a hog also. And to some extent, it still is.

You're not kidding. I have 3x Intel X25MG2 drives in a raido and it still takes a good 30 seconds to get in game! There's NO WAY ANY GAME should take that long to load on my system. I can go from desktop to parachuting to the ground in BC2 in the time it takes me to load a level in BF2!

Anyway, my performance issues were resolved when I turned off bloom and went back to DX9. I went from barely playable to no slowdown whatsoever even in large firefights.

I am running at 5850 HD. The recommended cpu for this is nothing less than Quadcore. One of the reasons is that audio uses up a significant portion of one of your cpu cores, rather than use the sound card or on-board. DICE has released an article on this on battlefield.com I believe.

I haven't tried the Demo yet but I seriously doubt that the audio coming from this game is so intense that it bottlenecks you at 30FPS

*sigh*

Back