• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GT220 HDMI with sound ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parapaparas

Registered
I was wondering if those new 40nm GPU's from nvidia had their own audio decoders? If they do, what does it exactly mean? Could you theoretically produce sound over HDMI without a soundcard installed ?

I was wondering if those new 40nm GPU's from nvidia had their own audio decoders? If they do, what does it exactly mean? Could you theoretically produce sound over HDMI without a soundcard installed ?

I am not sure, but what I do know is we installed 2 gt220's in a computer for my buddies work and we got sound through the hdmi just by switching output in the sound properties through windows.

those cards are actually pretty neat little cards

I doubt the would fold worth a squat

well i'm about to buy a GT220 for a HTPC, (an old dell) who has only two channel output. So would i get a digital 7.1 output with this card over HDMI ?

well i'm about to buy a GT220 for a HTPC, (an old dell) who has only two channel output. So would i get a digital 7.1 output with this card over HDMI ?

Yes, but only with LPCM. It does not bitstream HD Audio formats directly.

The GT210/220/240 have about the same functionality as the ATi 4xxx series for sound. The 5xxx series can stream HD audio or LPCM and are more-or-less the defaults for HTPC cards these days.

my brother has a gt220 and we were surprised as can be when we used the HDMI out and got sound! he recently got a 32inch HDTV and we were experimenting with the various video outs on the gt220 to see which looked best. We put in a blu-ray, and suddenly sound was coming out of the tv speakers from his gpu!!!!

It was not a feature listed on the box, in the instructions, or even in the driver settings. We had no idea it was possible as we thought only a couple certain ATI's could do so without a passthrough cable.

so you only got sound when you were playing blue ray movies ? you had no sound while playing other sounds?

Back