• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! Odd HDD prob with WD & Dell oem xp pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlterEgo

Ok guys/girls. This challenge is a new one for me. I'm not a pro, but have been geeking since the delorean of pc's (TI99/4a) and know enough to get me into trouble sometimes. Here's the deal. I suspect the drive isn't bad, since the image of the drive causes the exact same problem on new HDD.

System:
Dell XPS laptop; 3.4ghz P4 Hyper Threading; 1gb ddr; 128mb vid; 160gb WD Scorpio WD1600BEVE; BIOS A06; all current on windows updates; XP Pro SP3

Issue:

New HDD will not load with image of old HDD (exact same type drive), goes to blank screen with flashing cursor. But will load with oem fresh install. Tried reloading image again after oem install. same issue. Tried HDD (new & old) in comparable laptop with same issues. Comparable laptop HDD works find in the Dell XPS unit, so i'm thinking the laptop hardware is fine.

Beginning of problem:

1 yr old HDD was running perfect. Nothing had changed (hardware or software). Shutdown & rebooted later and get black screen with flashing cursor. Can still access all files with USB drive adapter. Drive is quiet & smooth. Will not boot to windows, therefore, cannot get into safe mode. Upon boot up, the HDD flashes once, then the screen is black with flashing cursor.

Tried this on both old & new HDD:

dell oem xp pro disk - repair
xp pro disk -repair
chkdsk /r
fixboot
fix mbr
bootcfg /rebuild
bootcfg /add
Western digital lifeguard diagnostics for windows

Image software:
Acronis True image WD Edition

Theories:
1.corrupted oem partition (8mb that comes with new hdd) got imaged over from old hdd image. This might explain why the drive works with a fresh oem install & not the imaged old HDD with corrupted oem 8mb partition?

2. I'm screwing up the order sequence of the DOS commands? I'm like a kid in the candy store, trying whatever.

3. I'm an idiot & should stop wasting time trying to figure this out & take a day to reload oem & tweak thru all the updates/fixes with a tall glass of whiskey ?

I'm calling for serious help my friends. Many thanks!

Last edited:
Back