• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doing other stuff while folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

As in:

1.Watching a movie from the harddrive
2.Streaming Windows Media Player to Xbox360
3.Using PhotoShop, Indesign, Illustrator to edit photo's and create artwork
4.Surfing
5. Listening to music(media player, iTunes, web....)

Will it cut down on ppd's? if so how much?

I am folding with GPU, CPU in sig.

p.s. I searched and didn't see anything pointing to my question so I posted up. If there is a thread like this please delete me :D

Thanks

Ron

Short answer: YES it will reduce your PPD. By how much depends on how resource-intensive whatever you're doing is. I also noticed decreased system response when I'm folding, although considering the power of an i7, its still pretty snappy.

Short answer: YES it will reduce your PPD. By how much depends on how resource-intensive whatever you're doing is. I also noticed decreased system response when I'm folding, although considering the power of an i7, its still pretty snappy.

yeah I kinda figured :) the wife likes using the pc for those above applications minus the music and movies :D

right now I am watching a movie through the c640 laptop with the sound going from headphone jack to the line in on the desktop and into the surround sound laptop is only a 14"

Lets see, I'm running SMP2 and 3 instances of GPU2. I'm watching several 1hr shows in vlc, have ventrilo, pidgin, gimp/sai, and mozilla going. SMP is fairly level and even with all this, my main display is on my gtx285 and has a ppd change of about 100, secondary display is on 8800gt and since it only has vent and pidgin on it no ppd drop there.

Last edited:
Back