• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recently OC'ed...now PC doesn't do anything - not even posting!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

derdeb

Registered
Hi there,

I recently OC'ed my PC to about 3.8Ghz with my i7, and everything was fine. It stress tested fine and the memory was okay after running memtest86. However, after I tried waking the PC from sleep mode (win 7), nothing happened on my monitor.

I eventually did a hard reset and now nothing happens. During the OC phase, the BIOS would at least let me know if it wouldn't post. It would let me back into the BIOS to undo whatever wasn't letting get into Windows.

Now nothing.

I've tried the different jumper configurations, but nothing happens. In fact, every configuration except normal just turns off after about 10 seconds of being on.

What the hell is going on?

Hi there,

I recently OC'ed my PC to about 3.8Ghz with my i7, and everything was fine. It stress tested fine and the memory was okay after running memtest86. However, after I tried waking the PC from sleep mode (win 7), nothing happened on my monitor.

I eventually did a hard reset and now nothing happens. During the OC phase, the BIOS would at least let me know if it wouldn't post. It would let me back into the BIOS to undo whatever wasn't letting get into Windows.

Now nothing.

I've tried the different jumper configurations, but nothing happens. In fact, every configuration except normal just turns off after about 10 seconds of being on.

What the hell is going on?

Okay, I was doing the jumpers wrong. I thought you had to change the jumper configuration and then restart the system with the new configuration!

I hope I didn't muck up my motherboard...the power was always off when I was removing the jumpers, but I did power on the system with different pin configs - and once without it.

I'm currently letting my CMOS batter sit for 40 minutes before trying again.

most i7 baords that I am familiar with will start back up if you just remove power for a couple seconds, it will force you to go into bios and at least look, can try to make some changes. you shouldnt have to give to much cpu voltage for 3.8 but may have to give some qpi voltage to get stable and could just be mem out of spec there.

most i7 baords that I am familiar with will start back up if you just remove power for a couple seconds, it will force you to go into bios and at least look, can try to make some changes. you shouldnt have to give to much cpu voltage for 3.8 but may have to give some qpi voltage to get stable and could just be mem out of spec there.

I tried that.

I get nothing. It once posted and I saw the setup screen, but it froze.

there should be a jumper on the board, or a button to clear and reset all fields in your bios. if you clear it you will have to reset all fields there. I would guess that you are running you mem past where it is stable. try to clear the bios and make sure you move the mem multi down another notch from where you had it set this time and maybe check what voltage you are giving it. could be the cpu needing more to. I dont know what heatsink you are using now, if it is a decent aftermarket one, I dont think I would worry about trying to boot with 1.4-1.45 volts to the cpu and move the qpi voltage up to about 1.375 and most memory is going to want 1.64 volts to make rated speeds. let me know if this helps. and maybe list more of your hardware also

there should be a jumper on the board, or a button to clear and reset all fields in your bios. if you clear it you will have to reset all fields there. I would guess that you are running you mem past where it is stable. try to clear the bios and make sure you move the mem multi down another notch from where you had it set this time and maybe check what voltage you are giving it. could be the cpu needing more to. I dont know what heatsink you are using now, if it is a decent aftermarket one, I dont think I would worry about trying to boot with 1.4-1.45 volts to the cpu and move the qpi voltage up to about 1.375 and most memory is going to want 1.64 volts to make rated speeds. let me know if this helps. and maybe list more of your hardware also

Intel Core i7 920
Intel DX58SO Motherboard
BFG nVidia GTX 275 OCX
GSkill 6GB 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM (9-9-9-24)
TRUE 120 Black Edition +2 S-Flex Push/Pull
Corsair HX750 PS
NZXT LX Sentry Fan Controller

I think maybe the QPI isn't high enough...here's what's happened so far.

a) Overclocked PC to 3.8Ghz with a 6x mem multiplier. Set the CPU volts to 1.2, kept the mem and QPI voltage where it was.

b) System reset, went into windows, stress tested fine. Memory test fine too.

c) Later tried waking it from sleep, nothing happened.

d) Reset PC manually, wouldn't POST. Tried this a million times, eventually saw the motherboard splash screen managed to get in BIOS but it froze.

e) Tried this a bunch more times until I managed to reset the defaults.

f) Reset fine, booted windows.

g) Overclocked again, but only OC'ed it to 3.5 ghz.

h) Went back into sleep mode - wouldn't wake. Now I can't get into the BIOS at all. Tried removing the battery for 10 minutes, nothing still happens.

Perhaps the battery just needs to be out longer...

many of the x58 boards wont wake when oc'ed past a certain point, I tried the intel board when they first came out and it was a pretty strange acting board. and the board usually is the limiting factor for very good oc's. not sure what to tell you from there, maybe one of the real guru's will chime in.

Back