• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked Multipliers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ronbert

I've been reading on Intel cpus and it seems like no intel chips are unlocked.

Is it true that there are no intel cpus with Unlocked Multipliers?

"Extreme" ones are unlocked. They cost about 5 times more than the corresponding regular version. High price to pay for them to not put in an arbitrary restriction.

With many modern motherboards capable of 500+mhz FSB, why would you need an unlocked chip?

"Extreme" ones are unlocked. They cost about 5 times more than the corresponding regular version. High price to pay for them to not put in an arbitrary restriction.

With many modern motherboards capable of 500+mhz FSB, why would you need an unlocked chip?

I'm still real new to the OC world so I'm getting terminology down and learning what's needed and what's not know what I mean?

Having an unlocked Multiplier would have a very limited increase in overclockability for the average user. You would be limited by CPU temperatures or other hardware restrictions before you could really take advantage of the unlocked Multipliers.

For instance, on my current i5 750 you can use a 21 Multiplier with 200 Bclk/FSB for an overclock of 4200 MHz. The Motherboard is capable of about 212 Bclk/FSB, but because the CPU is limited to 4200 Overclock with my current setup, I could not have higher than say. 18 Multi X 212 Bclk/FSB before I would crash. That leaves me with another 3 multipliers, but even if it was another 10 multipliers, I could still not get past 4200.

IF however I was running something like Liquid Nitrogen, then I could probably reach 6000 MHz with the same processor. A multiplier of 28 would be advantageous so I could use the 212 Multiplier, but realistically on nitrogen I could also hit much higher Bclks/FSBs therefore the Multi becomes a mute point. If my FSB/Bclk was the limiting factor, then a higher Multiplier would be more beneficial.

Having an unlocked Multiplier would have a very limited increase in overclockability for the average user. You would be limited by CPU temperatures or other hardware restrictions before you could really take advantage of the unlocked Multipliers.

For instance, on my current i5 750 you can use a 21 Multiplier with 200 Bclk/FSB for an overclock of 4200 MHz. The Motherboard is capable of about 212 Bclk/FSB, but because the CPU is limited to 4200 Overclock with my current setup, I could not have higher than say. 18 Multi X 212 Bclk/FSB before I would crash. That leaves me with another 3 multipliers, but even if it was another 10 multipliers, I could still not get past 4200.

IF however I was running something like Liquid Nitrogen, then I could probably reach 6000 MHz with the same processor. A multiplier of 28 would be advantageous so I could use the 212 Multiplier, but realistically on nitrogen I could also hit much higher Bclks/FSBs therefore the Multi becomes a mute point. If my FSB/Bclk was the limiting factor, then a higher Multiplier would be more beneficial.

Well currently I have a Foxconn G31MV-K with a E5200. The mobo allows Multiplier unlocking but the cpu is locked. I'm also currently having issues with OCing this chip because I'm a nub. (See my other thread, don't know where to start) I was going to get a E7500 but someone convinced me that I shouldn't I should just oc this E5200 and wait till I can get an i3 rig.

An E5200 is a good overclocking chip. It has a 12.5 Multiplier, making a lower FSB possible. As a matter of fact, it doesn't fair well with higher FSBs for exactly why I stated above.

I ran a E5200 @3.5 on Stock HSF and 3.7 with the cooler in my sig.

Put 1.45Volts to that Vcore, 1.4 to NorthBridge and 2.1 to DRAM, and then FSB 280, Multi 12.5

Really you need to start out slow.

1) Find out how far you can OC your Front Side Bus (FSB):
a) Lower Multiplier to lowest Setting. this will let you rule out the high clocks as being reason for failing
b) Start raising ONLY your FSB 5 steps at a time until you crash. Back up to the last clock before you crashed and run IBT or Prime95 for 5 min.
c) Raise FSB +1, Retest. Rinse. Repeat.
d) This will tell you your FSB Limit.

2) Find out how far you can clock your DRAM:
a) Raise your Volts to Manufactures Max spec. ~2.1, Raise your North Bridge Volts to 1.4.
b) Lower your Ram Multi as low as it will go.
c) with your CPU FSB/Multiplier low, 6X233, start raising your RAM speed till it BSODs
d) That is your Rams Max overclock.

3) Now you you know your FSB Limit and your DRAM limit. Now set your Multiplier to 12.5.
a) Start with your FSB @ ~240.
b) Start raising your FSB 5 units at a time until you crash.
c) Once you crash raising your Vcore +1
d) Test with Prime or IBT.
e) If it crashes, raise your Vcore again +1 till your FSBXMulti is stable.
f) Rinse. Repeat till you reach your Maximum Overclock.

If you cannot follow these instructions, or the ones posted in the sticky at the top of the forum, then perhaps your not ready to Overclock yet. That processor overclocks very well, so don't think that is your stumbling block.

POST all of your stats to include your CPU Cooler and Ram SPECs

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful info man! The reason I didn't post all the specs here is because I thought that unlocked chips were needed for OCing I read your post thoroughly and see that's not the case now. On top of that I also have a second thread going specifically for ocing my E5200. I did extensive research and a buddy here at OC Forum helped me realize my Mobo is extremely limited for instance it won't let me choose my own FSB, Mult, or Ram speed I have to use the preset BIOS speeds which are along the lines of 5xx,6xx, and 800Mhz.

Here's my full specs atm.

E5200 @ 2.50 (2.86Ghz -> FSB: 916Mhz, BS:229.1Mhz)
<Mobo>Foxconn G31MV-K, B: Phoenix Technologies V:6.00PG
DDR2 800Mhz RAMM (Corsair gaming memory)
550 watt PSU

and such but that's all not as important right now I have overclockable gear except for the mobo.

Oh! Also I'm using a Rocketfish cooler which is derived from Arctic cooling Pro Freezer line not as good as PF but damn close.

You can change the FSB on your board, but the RAM has to be 533, 667, or 800MHz and the only voltage options are vCore and RAM voltage. Since the RAM is locked to one of those 3 values, it makes it hard to get a "normal" FSB:RAM ratio.

Back