• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding Job Portability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GIXXERGUY6

Meaning if one of your computers dies can you move the folder to another computer and finish out the WU/Project?

Long shot but a thought.

Take the whole fah folder, with all the cores and machinedependant and work and fah6 and everything.

Be sure you only move it though, if you accidental turn in that WU twice Stanford will invade your house with protein SWAT teams and turn your bed into a over sized pitcher plant.

Take the whole fah folder, with all the cores and machinedependant and work and fah6 and everything.

Be sure you only move it though, if you accidental turn in that WU twice Stanford will invade your house with protein SWAT teams and turn your bed into a over sized pitcher plant.

ok if i take the whole folder what happens the folder I have there now?

it didn't work.

I moved it to my e:\folding directory
renamed the folder FAH1 then the application fah_cpu1 to avoid any issues with current appliation named the same thing. rebooted and started it and it gives me a file io error :(

it gave you a file I/O error because you renamed the directory and the application

Why rename the folder and app you are moving? When you copy the folding folder, from the source machine to the target computer, just leave everything the way it is. Do not rename anything.

Why rename the folder and app you are moving? When you copy the folding folder, from the source machine to the target computer, just leave everything the way it is. Do not rename anything.

ok then what happens to the original console/wu I have on the desktop(where I'm transferring the other folder to)?

Rename the folder, but not the executable, i've done that and it works just fine.

key things that I know of

FAH folder needs to be the same location as the old. c:\apps\fahsmp\
you still will need to do a fresh install then migrate the old folder on top of the new stuff and make sure it overwrites the files.

For some reason i thought you were on linux, sorry. In linux the folder doesn't care where it is, clearly windows is different.

If you are just running CPU folding you acn also look into Pendrive Linux distros.
then you wont even need a HDD just some mobo's with power and lan hehe.

I know that this works, I fold from a USB key at work and then run from the same USB key on a spare laptop at home. The drive letter changes but the program still works.

I know that this works, I fold from a USB key at work and then run from the same USB key on a spare laptop at home. The drive letter changes but the program still works.

Maybe I'll try that then :D

What config would you guys recommend running for a p4 2.8 HT model?

-smp 2 -verbosity 9?

what is going to yeild the most points? and then when I move the usb to the i7 I can change the config to -smp 8.

What ill effects will I have from running 2 consoles with -smp 8 -verbosity 9?

Do not think a 2.8GHz p4 will make SMP preferred deadline. It has been a few years since I had a P4 folding, but recall my P4 at 3.7GHz only beat the SMP preferred deadline by a few hours. The current SMP client might make it, but would be better to run single uni client on a part time folding P4 and not have issue with the deadline.

Back