• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Come take a look at the next generation of microprocessors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiggity

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100131215530.htm

100131215530-large.jpg

This is a wafer of a pure graphene substrate. The graphene is deposited on silicon to use modern lithography techniques and then the silicon is removed, leaving only the graphene layer.

Another goal of the Penn State researchers is to improve the electron mobility of the Si-sublimated wafers to nearer the theoretical limit, approximately 100 times faster than silicon.

The electron transport of graphene is so efficient it is close to superconducting, there is literally next to no resistance. Graphene is a two dimensional structure (the 3rd dimension is 1 atom thick, so they refer to it as 2-D).

Think of chips that could theoretically run at TERAHERTZ speeds.

Graphene is big.

Also, if anyone wanted to know, carbon nanotubes is graphene rolled up.

Highest strength to weight ratio material known to man.

I had a class where we got to mess around with this sort of thing and other "raw" silicon based items like the waffers - it's pretty freakin' cool! Possibly one of the cooler things I got to mess around with was an ancient ferrite core memory.

So jamming a few pencils in my CPU should make it super fast?

:comp:

OHHHHH..... you said graphene. My bad.

Just gotta do a really, really, really thin pencil mod :D

Graphene is a single layer of graphite, after all.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/24482/?a=f

IBM creates working 100Ghz transistors based on graphene.

the IBM device is a milestone because of its speed and because it was made using practical fabrication techniques. "This is not pie-in-the-sky stuff, this is real," he says. "This development is really going to turn into a communications device not too long from now."

This technology is coming extremely fast, expect functional prototypes soon.

Yes lads, we call it; The Matrix. How can we see the color of something thats 1 atom thick. How the hell do you control stuff like that?

Were gonna have our 16 and 32 core processors running at 4Ghz thinking we've got it made, then this tiny little single core is gonna come by and destroy them...

It looks like a pizza with far too little cheese on it.

LOL... Well this is one of those things that really blows your mind away! Imagine when these are run of the mill, and we're complaing about not being able to hit 4terahertz on out OC!! Although this has been around for a while, I've been reading articles about nano technology and fabrication since 2000. I've also read about the nano tube structures built out of this stuff... simply amazing!

Want something equally mind blowing? Take a look at Quantum Computing Just think what the future holds!

Dang I thought the i7 was future proof LOL, i'm not upgrading till TERAHERTZ speeds

I will have one of my great-grandchildren place a chip on your grave when they arrive in 2133 produced by Nokia.

Really I think it will help but don't look for anything substantial in the near future.

Back