• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Know what I need, cant get it to work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
In the job I do now, I am supporting both Linux (CentOS and XP). Currently there is a bit of communication between the two OSes and I need to remove a single issue I am having.

Currently at login to the Linux side I have to su and CHMOD two folders recursively to 777 to make sure that there are no issues with the communication between both OSes. I have to do this on each box and it adds an extra 10 minutes plus to the start up time having to do that manually. I am looking for a way to set it at boot before login. Is it possible and if so can I get a bit of help with it?

For CentOS you can either put a file in rc.local or in the /etc/init.d folder

for the init.d folder do the following:
1. Put 2 comments into your script:
# chkconfig: 2345 90 10
# description: my_service - does this and that
Where the chkconfig line is the most important, it lists a. 2345 - runlevels the service will be started (by default), b. 90 - when the service is started when entering a runlevel (relative to others, look into /etc/rc3.d for example), c. 10 - when the service is stopped (relative to others, see /etc/rc0.d for example)
2. put your script into /etc/init.d, make it executable (usually chmod'ed to 755)
3. As root run "chkconfig --add my_service (if you put it in /etc/init.d/my_service)

one thing that i do with my debian server is use cron jobs that run at boot time. you might want to check and see if the cron manager in centos can handle the '@reboot' parameter by checking the man page, but instead of specifying the time, you just put:
Code:
@reboot          /path/to/script

i just add those to the crontab using 'crontab -e' for root and it runs the scripts on boot.

Back