• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raid and else?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

hi,
could someone explain to me what is Raid, i tried to google it but i cant understand a word their saying, I know there is raid 0,1,2,3 and else.
i am most interested in raid 0, i read that raid 0 improves performance, how it works, and can raid 0 be done with one HD?

Redundent Array of Independent Disks.

Raid0 works with 2+ drives (does not work with one, no). It basically takes 1/2 of the data and puts it on one drive and the other half of hte data on the other. Its called striping. It is not redundent. You lose one disk you lose all your data.

I have never heard of raid2 though. Here is the wiki entry...thats about as simple as its going to get...: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

read the sticky at the top of this sub-section of the forum. it explains all about raid....

the forum is here to help you but you should take advantage of what is already posted on here.

Back