• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my netbook faulty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HBAndrew

Registered
Hey all, just got my HP Mini 311c, and Everest is showing some worrying figures.

The temps seem very high, would I be wise to send this back for a replacement?

CPU: 44c
CPU Diode: 65c idle, 80-85c load
MCP: 51c
GPU Diode: 45c

Tried playing a game just now, CPU Diode rose to just under 80 fairly quickly, and overclocking CPU to 1800 causes system to reboot when trying to play a game (Diode goes to 85c). With all these people overclocking the CPU to even over 2ghz with no problems, and me having the exact same system unable to even get to 1800, I am wondering if mine isn't quite as well put together as others.

Not sure if the diode part is that important, when CPU itself doesn't go over 55-60 under load.

Thanks

It's fine, don't worry about it.
Atoms run @(*%#&* hot because they have tiny tiny cooling systems.
Mine has a 125*c tjunction (or something insane like that), they really don't care about heat. You're good to go.

That said, when you say "cpu diode", what temp are you reading?
What does the core temp say (in realtemp or coretemp or HWMonitor)?

Hey all, just got my HP Mini 311c, and Everest is showing some worrying figures.

The temps seem very high, would I be wise to send this back for a replacement?

CPU: 44c
CPU Diode: 65c idle, 80-85c load
MCP: 51c
GPU Diode: 45c

Tried playing a game just now, CPU Diode rose to just under 80 fairly quickly, and overclocking CPU to 1800 causes system to reboot when trying to play a game (Diode goes to 85c). With all these people overclocking the CPU to even over 2ghz with no problems, and me having the exact same system unable to even get to 1800, I am wondering if mine isn't quite as well put together as others.

Not sure if the diode part is that important, when CPU itself doesn't go over 55-60 under load.

Thanks

If it works fine when not overclocked, there's no reason to send it back. If you just want more hz from it, look into improving the cooling.

I think most do, my mini9 is rare in that it doesn't.

They're tiny though.

Hmm thanks, maybe Everest doesn't like Atoms.

Currently running system stability test in Everest, and it shows CPU at 56c and CPU Diode at 76c. However coretemp and realtemp just show CPU at 42c and both change between 42 and 41 at the same time while Everest is still all over the place, so I guess they are correct.

I will test further with prime95, futuremark stuff and memtest and see if I can recreate the auto reboot, maybe it was some one off thing the system didn't like. I also removed the extra 2GB memory I added since it is only value kingston it may have been the problem. Will also remove all this bundled crap HP put on it.

Thanks guys, stopped me potentially getting charged to RMA heh.

Back