• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help getting a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rttnpig]

Registered
Hello guys, as of today I decided to buy a new pc. Been looking arround prices and finally i got something but i got many doubts. Im a gamer and i want to have the max graphics on the game.

First of all, intel i7 is the newest technology out, am i right? Ive checked out the i7 920 2.66ghz, is this a good processor? Should i get an intel quad core instead? What is so special of i7?

Im getting 6 gb of ram, and a powerfull gfx. Here is my doubt, should i get 2gb ati sapphire hd4850 x2 or should i get 1gb ati sapphire hd 5850??

I got more or less 300 euros for the gfx, 300 euros for the processor and 300 for the rest (ram and motherboard)
I got the other items.

First of all, intel i7 is the newest technology out, am i right? Ive checked out the i7 920 2.66ghz, is this a good processor? Should i get an intel quad core instead? What is so special of i7?
The i7's are quad cores as well. The i7 platform is the architecture update from the Core2Quads. If I was to be able to chose between an i7 or a C2Q there wouldn't even be a question of what I'd buy (the i7). The 920 is a very nice processor.

Im getting 6 gb of ram, and a powerfull gfx. Here is my doubt, should i get 2gb ati sapphire hd4850 x2 or should i get 1gb ati sapphire hd 5850??

I would get the 5850. It's a generation newer and I'm one of those guys that go for single GPU solutions. They usually give you fewer headaches and the 5850 is a fantastic card.

Many thanks for your replay.
What would you choose between i7 920 2.66ghz or i7 860 2.8 GHZ
Sorry im a newbie, i know the last one got more 2.8 but i guess its older version right? Whats best?

What would you choose between i7 920 2.66ghz or i7 860 2.8 GHZ
Sorry im a newbie, i know the last one got more 2.8 but i guess its older version right? Whats best?
The i7 920 is S1366 and runs best with triple channel ram. The i7 860 is S1156 and runs Dual channel ram. The 1156 MBs run a bit cheaper than the 1366 boards. The i7 860 is not an older version. They are both running in new chipsets. With your budget I would go the i7 860 route. You need a good PSU to run that rig also.

The i7 920 is S1366 and runs best with triple channel ram. The i7 860 is S1156 and runs Dual channel ram. The 1156 MBs run a bit cheaper than the 1366 boards. The i7 860 is not an older version. They are both running in new chipsets. With your budget I would go the i7 860 route. You need a good PSU to run that rig also.

Mind explaining what is tripple channel ram? thanks:)

Thanks for the answers guys :)
About the GFX, what would you recommend me to buy with 300 euros? Is the one i choosed the best one for those prices? Ati or nvidia?

Hello guys, as of today I decided to buy a new pc. Been looking arround prices and finally i got something but i got many doubts. Im a gamer and i want to have the max graphics on the game.

I got more or less 300 euros for the gfx, 300 euros for the processor and 300 for the rest (ram and motherboard)
I got the other items.

One of your best bets might to be read the last 20-50 subjects that kind of follow your same question. Many of the posts will be fleshed out and parts lists already selected and you'll learn a ton. It's daunting, but just reading and reading will teach you a lot.

We'll help too. Just don't rush it.

Thanks for your answers guys ^^
Here is what i came up to. What do you think? all compatible?

Attachments

• newpc.JPG
    newpc.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 51
Back