• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chinese Spying

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paradoxmaker

I saw this article and found it very interesting.

Can you trust Chinese computer equipment?
China may not only be breaking into Google's network, but giving people deliberately bugged technology gear. Can we trust any technology that comes from China?

February 4, 2010, 12:19 PM —

As you surely know, Google has accused China of hacking into its systems and is considering pulling out of China altogether. The U.S. government is taking this seriously, and Google has partnered with the NSA (National Security Agency) to get to the bottom of this. What you may not know is that the United Kingdom's MI5 -- Americans can think of this as a combination of the FBI and CIA -- has reported that the Chinese government has been giving UK executives electronics with built-in security holes.

According to the Sunday Times, "A leaked MI5 document says that undercover intelligence officers from the People's Liberation Army and the Ministry of Public Security have also approached UK businessmen at trade fairs and exhibitions with the offer of 'gifts' and 'lavish hospitality.' The gifts -- cameras and memory sticks -- have been found to contain electronic Trojan bugs which provide the Chinese with remote access to users' computers."

That's bad. But why, if these stories are true, should the Chinese government stop there? U.S. and British citizens buy billions of dollars every year of Chinese-made USB memory sticks, computers, hard drives, and cameras. Why not just add security holes as a matter of course to the firmware of all of them?

It's not hard. Heck. It's trivial.

Backdoors, systems with a deliberate security hole that allows its creator full access to a system, have been around for ages. Indeed, back in 1983, Ken Thompson, one the creators of Unix, admitted that he had included a backdoor in early Unix versions. Thompson's backdoor gave him access to every Unix system then in existence.

If China's government really is hell-bent on keeping an eye on American and European businesses, why not just incorporate 21st century backdoors into their products? Then, you could just have them automatically call home to do a data dump of documents. If there's anything interesting in the files, it can be set to monitor its user on a regular basis.

There's nothing difficult about doing this. Not only are backdoors easy to create, running an automatic check for words of interest, even in terabytes of documents, just requires some servers. After all, Google does it every day with far more data than such a plot could ever uncover.

http://www.itworld.com/security/95398/can-you-trust-chinese-computer-equipment?m

With China's well documented history of spying on and restricting their own people, it should come as no surprise to anyone that things like this are happening.

China is growing fast, to fast. I will bet almost any amount of money that China will be the new worlds super power within 20 years unless a war cripples it.

This is all illegal right? I mean surely the UN should step in here... right? War is to far, no-one needs to die beacuse of this but so many people should be in jail right now for this. China is like a child that's grown up without discipline thinking they can get away with anything. Hopefully sometime they'll learn you can't do this kind of thing without repercussions.

As per usual I don't think I'm getting my view across well, hopefully someone can make sense of me :)

Our State's firewall suffered a breach. During a firewall configuration, traffic was unfiltered for a few hours. Oops!

Someone, who originated from China...managed to get into one of the state's servers for the Racing and Gaming commission. Doesn't seem like anything was compromised yet and they suspect it was just a machine setup to look for holes and managed to get in at just the right time.

Well I've read somewhere that along with China having the biggest internet community in the world now, they make it a point to encourage hacking. Apparently the military units all have social hacking clubs that compete against each other to sharpen their skills and earn unit notoriety.

I love China, for all its flaws, I really do. But **** like this just ****es me off soooo bad. I was walking by google's offices in Beijing last week and I wish I had my camera because it might soon be history.

China is growing fast, to fast. I will bet almost any amount of money that China will be the new worlds super power within 20 years unless a war cripples it.

I would take that bet. China has so many domestic problems it isn't even funny, the main one being expensive beer.

^ Really? China has a VERY powerful army and due to paying people to study in the US and the UK. I don't actually know much about this but 2 friends and my dad seem to know a lot about the worlds current situation and they're all saying that China is by far the strongest (unless my dads changed his view since Christmas)

^ Really? China has a VERY powerful army and due to paying people to study in the US and the UK. I don't actually know much about this but 2 friends and my dad seem to know a lot about the worlds current situation and they're all saying that China is by far the strongest (unless my dads changed his view since Christmas)

China does have a very large army and air force. The PLA is not very advanced or well trained at all and has very limited ability to project force outside of the region. Same thing goes for the PLAAF. They have zillions of planes that wouldn't be a match for F-4 Phantoms, and pilots that are poorly trained by western standards. There are some modern fighter aircraft, but without good training they don't stand a chance. The PLAN is kind of a joke, though they have plans to build and aircraft carrier. They are really eager to get into the nuclear attack sub game and have some already, but their ability to use them effectively is questionable. The military as a whole has very limited amounts of state of the art tech in use that they have bought, stolen, or developed in-house.

An interesting fact is that, I forget if it is 1/3 or 2/3, of Chinese who study abroad never return to live in China.

China really doesn't have enough money to be a superpower, not now, not in 20 years. China's double digit economic growth isn't going to last a whole lot longer, and 80% of its growth comes from increased domestic business, and trust me that there is lots of room for improvement. China has soooo many poor people that it is unbelievable. China is a third world country, no doubt about it. Just because there is tons of development based on foreign money, and the country looks rich because it has such a huge population to skim from doesn't mean that it is going to be a superpower anytime soon. China is really 100 years behind the US, maybe even more.

And trust me, everybody there loves Americans.

Well I'll tell you from my own 1st hand experience I don't know how they can make any reliable products at all.

The semiconductor company I work for for the last 14 years is in the final stages of transferring to China. They have sent me on 6 trips over the last year and it's completely ridiculous there.

The plant manager told me on my last trip that the plant had a %160 employee turnover last year and they fully expect 50-60% to not come back after the Chinese new year holiday. AND THEY CONSIDER THAT NORMAL...

How can you run a high tech company in a country that can not retain employees? FOr us, It takes months to get a fab operator completely trained.

This is all illegal right? I mean surely the UN should step in here... right? .... :)

What can a building full of talking heads do about anything? They are about the most incompetent organization in existence when it comes to actually "doing" anything at all about "anything".

American projection of power, through naval carrier groups is countered by Chinese nuclear anti-ship missles.

And trust me, everybody there loves Americans.

This is a rather limited viewpoint.

China (as a massive manufacturer, of low priced goods), needs the American market to sell its goods. If the American market is not availible to it, the European market is not interested in Chinese goods, and the rest of the thirdworld isn't interested either. China needs America just as much as America needs China. Its economic MAD (mutural assured destruction).

The cold hacker wars have been waged for years now. The USA has the central backbone of the internet, is both vulnerable, and in an advantageous situation, by being able to block or attack certain sectors of the "internet".

Russians and Chinese have good hackers for sure, but American hackers have already waged civil war, and wrote the book (see MOD vs LOD).

I wouldn't put it above China to do something like this - to sell products that are rigged/bugged. They've been trying to sell us their substandard sh*t for years, including milk for BABIES that have a poisonous chemical in them. If they would let something like that go through their exports, then why not for their electronic and technology products.

I would take that bet as well. Only a handful of western cities in China are rich and that's all the world sees. The rest of China is dirt poor. It seems that those cities were built at the expense of the other provinces. Wealth is not distributed there at all and no economy or population can sustain that.

And I found this statement by you to be hilariously funny, seeing that you are a Philippines sig spammer. :eek: Funny enough for me to share with the rest of the forums while I banned your ***. :rock:

Damn if this ain't the pot calling the kettle black here. :D

I wouldn't put it above China to do something like this - to sell products that are rigged/bugged. They've been trying to sell us their substandard sh*t for years, including milk for BABIES that have a poisonous chemical in them. If they would let something like that go through their exports, then why not for their electronic and technology products.

I would take that bet as well. Only a handful of western cities in China are rich and that's all the world sees. The rest of China is dirt poor. It seems that those cities were built at the expense of the other provinces. Wealth is not distributed there at all and no economy or population can sustain that.

I did buy a ipod once which im pretty sure wasnt real it was bootlegged when i plugged it in my computer my anti-virus told me that it had a trojan in it :O Just saying

I did buy a ipod once which im pretty sure wasnt real it was bootlegged when i plugged it in my computer my anti-virus told me that it had a trojan in it :O Just saying

I've seen stories 2 or 3 years in a row about digital picture frames from China having trojans or malware on them strait out of the box...

Back