• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 50'' hdtv for Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nimhs

Registered
Am thinking about picking up a ps3 along with a new 50'' hdtv. Was hoping to get some ideas on tvs to consider in the 1000 dollar range (even less money is good.) I've had my eye on the various Panasonic plasmas. I think the G series is a bit more than I'd like to spend and was wondering about the various models under that. I'd also like opinions on decent LCDs if anyone has some recomendations in the 50'' / 1000 dollar range.

thanks!

To sum it up:
Panasonic = sexy
Plasma = good for fast paced gaming
LCD = good for movies/sharp picture

Plasma's CAN burn in but I've been impressed with them so far, the only reason I never got one was because I wanted to use it as a monitor as well :(

I'd go for the Panny Plasma G Series

If you haven't made your purchase yet, I've been doing some research lately on gaming HDTVs as well. The Panasonic G10 series seems to be the best for gaming as far as input lag and response times go. The problem, though, is that even current plasma technologies still experience image retention and burn in if you aren't very careful. Playing games that have static HUDs for several hours at a time will definitely cause noticeable image retention (FPS's, fighting games that have health bars, etc). The black level will also fade the more you use the screen (after a few hundred hours). Personally, my play sessions are too long to consider a plasma.

You probably can not find a good quality 50 inch LCD for $1000 or under. After a few long research sessions, I'm looking towards the Sharp LC-46D65U for gaming. It's 46 inch, $1000, and most importantly, has very low input lag compared to other large LCDs. The main drawbacks I've read about are less than stellar black levels associated with the anti-glare coating and fading blacks when looking from an angle. This does not bother me, though, since the primary (80%) use of the screen would be for gaming.

Also, if gaming is your priority, stay away from Samsung models as they all have very high input lag (including their non-TN PC monitors).

There are so many TVs and so much info on all of them that buying a TV has become pretty tough these days unless you're the type of person that just walks into Best Buy and picks one. My best recommendation, of course, is to do tons of research and make an informed decision of your own.

Last edited:
Yeah to confirm what Mage said I agree.

I recently bought a Panny 42'' S1 Plasma and its beautiful...I bought a protection plan so it'll cover Burn-In/IR so I'm trying like a mad dog to burn this ***** in and it hasn't happened yet :)

Also a few other things to consider:

-Low input lag and no ghosting

-Due to the chemical process of Plasmas, you might see a green "Smear" or "trail" instead of ghosting mainly because Blue refreshes the quickest, Red is inbetween, and Green is the slowest (Although only people like me with VERY sensitive eyes seem to notice)

-Awesome space heater, if your livingroom isn't heating up in this weather then just leave the plasma on for an hour! Way better than an oven IMO

All in all for $699 I couldn't be happier with this set, although I have noticed some sort of "Noise" on my set that is present whether I'm on my gaming rig via HDMI or my Xbox via Component...kind of odd but you can't notice it if you're beyond 6feet away from it *shrug*

I love my plasma, although I do notice IR at times. I use it for gaming, movies, and monitor. After five months of use I don't see any burn in. I game for hours at a time with lots of static images. I do however watch movies and listen to music with visualization on full screen.

Plasma TV's have improved a lot as far as burn in is concerned. Gaming is better on a plasma, there is no question about it!

Back