• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis, this game still amazes me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

title says it all...
My question is this. My TV that i play on is not native 1080 so I have to play at 720 because 1080 on my computer looks weird. However, when playing games, with the exception of crysis. My frame rates are not much different at 1280x720 than at 1900/1200...I really dont get this.
Playing the BC2 Beta my FPS is around 30 average at 720 and the same at 1900x1200...I really dont understand this. Same thing with Bioshock HL2 Farcry. Not really a big drop if a drop at all.

Edit: the first photo at 1900x1200 not a good idea. Turned this one down to 720. Hope it still looks as good.

Attachments

• crysis 2.jpg
    crysis 2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 211
If there is some VSync going on it could limit it at 30FPS. I know certain games if I had it enabled it would be either 30FPS or 60FPS for me, really not much inbetween.

Though the differences of the resolution if you are truely running it at 1280x720 or 1920x1080/1200 then it should be using all the GPU it can take unless the CPU is the limiting factor, but even screen resolution changes like that the CPU will encounter a greater load at the higher res which should still affect frame rate in some way.

Let me be clear that I was not playing on my TV. I grabbed my GFs TV which does those resolutions, daddies present to her, not mine.

Vsync is not enabled...ever. But after playing Bad company, as strange as this may sound. I deff believe that the game runs smoother at 1900x1200 as oppose to 1280x720. The game experience as a whole was just so much nicer. The biggest place I noticed it was when I was flying in the helicopter. Game just ran so much smoother. Does playing at high rez put more strain on the video card and less on the CPU? Basically, are games more demanding at lower rez on the CPU and more on the GPU at higher. Because I am fixing to toss my TV and get something that does higher rez. Gaming on this 42in 1900x1200 :comp: has been a dream come true, I didn't know games could look this good.

Edit: Didnt read you post correctly. You answered my question. Still seems weird it runs smoother....

To clarify it a little more. At lower Res yes the CPU is more depenedent or is more used because the GPU typically doesn't need to work as hard to spit out info. Yet at higher resolutions the the GPU becomes a major factor yet still CPU speed is hindering the performance on most systems. Ocing the CPU can usually improve FPS which is still saying that its hindering performance compared to a set clock on the GPU.

To clarify it a little more. At lower Res yes the CPU is more depenedent or is more used because the GPU typically doesn't need to work as hard to spit out info. Yet at higher resolutions the the GPU becomes a major factor yet still CPU speed is hindering the performance on most systems. Ocing the CPU can usually improve FPS which is still saying that its hindering performance compared to a set clock on the GPU.

But what if one has a low res, like 1440x900 and still puts on all the eyecandy.. on dx10 or 11.. The GPU will still have to spit out maximum.. right?

Doesn't matter. Unless Vsync is on or some other limit of the program (hardcoded to 60FPS, or iterations of maximum GPU usage) it will use as much GPU power as it can pending it has enough CPU power. As well it will use as much CPU power as it can or needs to. Typically 1 CPU core will be loaded for sure and if its dual/quad core game it will load as much as it needs to on the next cores, though it might not be full load.

Only way to see if the GPU is holding you back is to OC it more, if the FPS goes up then its GPU. OCing the CPU seems to always help but depending on the games you play one might prove more useful then the other. As well if CPU is holding you back the FPS could jump dramatically because its opening up more room for the GPU to use the cycles to get more FPS as well.

Though from changing resolutiosn and not gaining anything it really sounds like there is some sort of forced Vsync going on in the background that you might not have selected on purpose. Driver control panel maybe, or any other tuning software that you might have for the GPU might have an option that is forcing Vsync on.

Back