• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$488.93 ($500) Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IvanRad

Registered
Hey guys just wanted to show you a build i just quickly put together...
My main budget is $500 dollars.
Please be honest with your suggestions it will be appreciated!
Im trying to stay within the budget so lets keep it very tight.
Thanks all!

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5999/40501215.jpg

40501215.jpg

I'd recommend using a Corsair 400 or 450W unit. Take a look. I think the 43 chipset is a crippled P45 chipset, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as features and abilities. All-in-all though I think it's a good budget build that can run most games at a good frame rate. It'd be able to do day-to-day stuff like surfing the web without breaking a sweat.

Hey guys just wanted to show you a build i just quickly put together...
My main budget is $500 dollars.
Please be honest with your suggestions it will be appreciated!
Im trying to stay within the budget so lets keep it very tight.
Thanks all!

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5999/40501215.jpg

40501215.jpg

OCZ has a 500w modular PSU on newegg that is 64.99 with a 25.00 rebate if you can wait for the rebate.

I just built a pc for a customer with the P5Q SE PLUS E5200 4gb xms2 and I oc'd it to 3.5 24 hour stable. Shipping it out tonight

Newegg sells a coolermaster 450 or 500 watt power supply for like $40 plus get a cheaper case and then take the extra cash and get a video card that has directx11 instead of the 4xxx series.

Do you have to buy all your parts new? If you shop around on online forums, you can get some better parts and save yourself some cash.

Newegg sells a coolermaster 450 or 500 watt power supply for like $40 plus get a cheaper case and then take the extra cash and get a video card that has directx11 instead of the 4xxx series.

the 5570 just came out not too long ago ;)

500x_radeon_5570_outputs_01.jpg

it costs the same as the 4670 he was looking at, it's a tiny bit more powerful, and uses less power. he could run an entire system on a good 300-400w PSU with it. Doesn't even need a 6 pin connector, very low profile and small, highly overclockable, and DX11. It's a cute little card for those on a budget and that don't require the highest settings in games, especially since it's useful for more than just gaming.

if your hard drive from your old system is still useful and large enough, you might not need to buy a new one and could save $50. Same could apply for the PSU from your old machine.

Plus if the max you're ever going to use is something like a 4670 or 5570, you might want to get only a 2x1GB dual channel RAM kit instead of 4GB, cutting your RAM cost in half.

So far, my recommendations can save you around $130 (which could be put towards a better video card if you wanted) in total and your system will perform just as well, even a little better if you get the 5570 instead of the 4670.

Last edited:
it costs the same as the 4670 he was looking at, it's a tiny bit more powerful, and uses less power. he could run an entire system on a good 300-400w PSU with it. Doesn't even need a 6 pin connector, very low profile and small, highly overclockable, and DX11. It's a cute little card for those on a budget and that don't require the highest settings in games, especially since it's useful for more than just gaming.

Plus if the max you're ever going to use is something like a 4670 or 5570, you might want to get only a 2x1GB dual channel RAM kit instead of 4GB, cutting your RAM cost in half.

So far, my recommendations can save you around $130 (which could be put towards a better video card if you wanted) in total and your system will perform just as well, even a little better if you get the 5570 instead of the 4670.

A 200w PSU would be enough to run the system he's planning.

Also, what does video card have to do with RAM? 4GB is pretty much a minimum for running a modern OS, unless you're just going to do one thing at a time. Really no reason to skimp out and get just 2GB..

Get this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151086

Quiet, excellent quality, cheap, more then enough for this system.

Get a P45 board if you intend to OC.

I would go AMD, they rule the cheap end.

This combo is very cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.334981

This combo is mATX, but has a better chipset:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.334982

Both work with that ram, and cost less then P43+e5200.

i think im good with my final build... btw if i want to watch bluray movies on my desktop that i intend to build... what screen would i need

the 5570 just came out not too long ago ;)

500x_radeon_5570_outputs_01.jpg

if your hard drive from your old system is still useful and large enough, you might not need to buy a new one and could save $50. Same could apply for the PSU from your old machine.

Would it perform better on crysis?

Ok this was really hard actually. I had to say though if this was me buying and I knew this wasn't for upgrading, or ocing, I love gaming. So I had to make sure my priorities were somewhat focused on the gfx, and I new the limitations of the pc, I skimped way more also on the psu than I normally ever would. Also, ati has always been great at releasing low end cards that don't need power connectors you have to wait a while for decent ones but if you wanted to upgrade then you could, and this is an AM3 board so it can use ddr3 and ddr2, and the board could always be upgraded to have more sata ports via pci cards, and molex adapters could get you more sata plugs.

493.06 w/ rebate, if no rebate I went over by 3 dollars and you get a pretty good gfx solution.

wgudsi.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/wgudsi.jpg

http://techgage.com/article/atis_radeon_hd_5670_-_directx_11_for_100/

review for the 5670

Also I know 250 gb is small, but for me, if it was a gaming rig 250 gigs can go a long long way.

Last edited:
1) Hoes does the 4670 compare to a 5670?

2) With this setup a 15 PSU is going to be fine. I run 4 hard drives, 4x 120mm fans, cd drive, amd 939 3500+ and an 8800gt in my back computer with the default gate way psu from 2004. If that peice of crap can run a all that, that psu can handle this basic system. Its hardly pushing it.

If he decides later to change it out, fine, but for that budget and for not really specifying what its really used for that's what I'm going with. Unless we cut the gfx card down to something really slow, you can get a nice corsair 450 watt which is totally over kill.

Gateway PSU is not the same as $15 psu.

$15 psus have a decent chance of dying explosively the moment you hit the switch the first time, regardless of load level. When they do, the odds on bet is that they fry everything plugged in.

A 200w PSU would be enough to run the system he's planning.

Also, what does video card have to do with RAM? 4GB is pretty much a minimum for running a modern OS, unless you're just going to do one thing at a time. Really no reason to skimp out and get just 2GB..

yes a 200w (250 to be safe) PSU would run his system if it had 100% efficiency rating. however, most decent power supplies have a mid 70% to mid 80% efficiency, which means it has to put out 20-30% more power.

Since he won't be doing high end gaming with that card, he will not 'need' as much RAM. I game pretty well on my 5770 with only 2GB, it even runs crysis pretty well ;) You can do quite a bit of multitasking with only 2GB of ram. Most likely he won't be running anything needing more than that.

Last edited:
yes a 200w (250 to be safe) PSU would run his system if it had 100% efficiency rating. however, most decent power supplies have a mid 70% to mid 80% efficiency, which means it has to put out 20-30% more power.

No. PSUs are rated by DC output, not AC input.

Back