• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Googles going to become a ISP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This isn't that tISP April Fool's joke from a few years ago, is it?:p

I hope not.

I shed a tear of joy when I read this article, Google when will your ingenuity end! If they really do go through with this I'll be sure to sign up asap!

They won't even drop fiber here for customer internet, but everyone else gets it :( I'm 20 minutes away from a major fiber backbone to boot...

They won't even drop fiber here for customer internet, but everyone else gets it :( I'm 20 minutes away from a major fiber backbone to boot...

Hey don't feel bad, my entire town has cable internet up to 20Mbit, but down the road I'm on, they stopped laying cable halfway down, lol. Such a joke, but whatever. The US is very far behind as far as internet.

I'll probably end up moving some place where this is installed. Internet from google? I'd happily pay twice the normal rate for that. Competitive prices?

I should send them a letter asking who came up with this idea, he deserves a high five, brofist, and a hug. Not to mention a few batches of ES brownies.

There was a fiber backbone like 3 minutes down the road from where I use to live & that area has only dial-up. This country is cheap!!! This sounds way cool, no real reason I would need it, but wow. :grouphug:

Just looks too great to be true. If any company would have the ability to line the US with some quality fiber, it would be Google. I'd love to see 20Mbit services as low as $30/month.

The thing I'm mainly interested in is that their fiber network will be open to all ISPs, so the consumer would be able to choose their ISP from those lines, at least what they say anyway.

Google just seems to much like a synonym for cyberdyne to me.....
other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

I must admit, their enthusiasm worries me.

Google just seems to much like a synonym for cyberdyne to me.....
other_awesomenessShiftyEyes.gif

I must admit, their enthusiasm worries me.

Your too funny.... so your saying "BIG BROTHER".... is in on this?:screwy: Well, if Cyberdyne / big brother want to watch me frag some fools a little fast..... I'm cool with that.:rock:

like i have said before and will say again.... google will take over the world ahhaha. +1 for google if they can pull this off.

I have a verizon fios 26/20mbit connection, fiber directly to the house, 49.99 a month and love it best internet i have ever had. But 1GBit net sounds uber amazing.

Hey don't feel bad, my entire town has cable internet up to 20Mbit, but down the road I'm on, they stopped laying cable halfway down, lol. Such a joke, but whatever. The US is very far behind as far as internet.

HA I would kill for a 20mb connection. I'm in a little town right outside of Las Vegas and I have the fastest internet available(get ready for this)...... 6mbs!
In vegas you can get up to 45mbs, granted their for business and are expensive but still!

HA I would kill for a 20mb connection. I'm in a little town right outside of Las Vegas and I have the fastest internet available(get ready for this)...... 6mbs!
In vegas you can get up to 45mbs, granted their for business and are expensive but still!

geez just 6 lol, that's like fast DSL speeds. Cable I've seen up to 50Mbit for residential (Charter is soon to be offering 60Mbit). Had cable at 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up for $56/month before our move. I would have thought for Vegas you'd be able to get above 6Mbit with ease since it's a rather large city.

And I thought my fios 25 / 25 plan was fast :eek:

Now we need faster hard drives to keep up with the internet!

6 megs, 20 megs, wow I would be in heaven I get 1.7 megs on cable, can't get dsl and cable internet was just installed about 2yrs ago.

geez just 6 lol, that's like fast DSL speeds. Cable I've seen up to 50Mbit for residential (Charter is soon to be offering 60Mbit). Had cable at 20Mbit down and 1Mbit up for $56/month before our move. I would have thought for Vegas you'd be able to get above 6Mbit with ease since it's a rather large city.

which is sad with such a lop sided connection.... and i love how cable companies offer such crazy download speeds which people rarely get and then put bandwidth caps on them. :rolleyes:

i'd love to see anyone break the current bandwidth cartels after all google seems to push for innovation. if ma bell was still in charge we'd all be running dial up and if comcast/cox was in charge we would still be stuck with cable with misadvertised speeds and caps...oh right.

Back