• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help sharing files with a friend over internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnathon007

I would like to share some folders on my computer with a friend and the only connection is the internet. I made a free dns server at www.dyndns.com but i cant really find how to allow him to access my computer with it. And i dont want this to be ftp or anything it needs to be able to open files without downloading it completely to his computer [like a server] My computer is more then capable of running programs for 2 users if i can find a way to do it.
Best case is that he could just open a folder and my computers shared stuff would just be there, i have windows 7 ultimate and he has vista ultimate if that makes any difference.
Any help would be awsome.

Try using team viewer 5, i use it to manage my gameserver and access files from the home network while at school. Free for personal use and it works great.

that looks good but i would still like to know if i can make my computer show up on his the same as a wired or wireless network where he can connect and see my shared folders, hes not very good with computers so browsing my computer for something would be hard. Really im looking for something like vpn but i couldnt get that to work.

A while back, I used a program called 'Hamachi'. It'd allow users to connect over the internet as if they were on the same LAN.

So it will make it seem as though they are on a wired LAN ? And if so will they show up like another computer in my networking control panel or do i have to use a software panel ?
EDIT>>>>> ive loaded it and so far it looks great. Wont know for sure for about 10 hours when he gets on and installs it also but i dont expect any problems. Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you tried dropbox?

Its pretty amazing. You can share folders with friends and they automatically get synchronized with the internet and with any computer were you installed dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com

Nice try with the referral. Do that again and you will find yourself on a nice beautiful vacation :mad:

nikhsub1
Forums Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Back