• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on this purchase PLZZZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cleaner450

I am at a 3.6 stable with a Intel q6600 quad. I just purchased a Gigibyte 790XTA-UD4 and the 925 Phenom II and am considering taking it back to purchase the biostar TH55B HD witht eh i5 661 My questions...

Will I see a big increase in performance? Knowing that most of what I do is gaming how does this chip rate against the i5?

Last, can someone tell me if its possiable to reach 4.5 with the H50 water cooling and the i5. Thanks forthe help. I am holding on to this to make sure this is the way to go. Therefore, your advice and input is greatly apperciated!

I need to really know which will give me more performance and I mostly game.

4.5 on an H50 is really pushing it on an i5. These chips run very very hot. Also, I'm not too sure that an i5 can be pushed that far even on good water. I'm not that sure how far most of the AMD stuff can go.. but from what I have seen it's about 3.8 - 4.0. With that being said.... if you can afford it... I would do an i7 on 1366. That way, you can be future proof for the next 3 years or so. The only other thing I would say is that speed and not the number of cores is going to help you out the most..... I can gaurentee you that my e8400 at 4.0 performs better in real world gaming then a comparable quad core at 3.6-3.8

Gaming = go for speed....

Thanks.. That is what I have been told. This is why I am heading towards the i5.. The only thing that has been holding me up is the deal. the i5 comes with the Biostar TH55B HD and I am just not sure what I will be able to do witht that. Its also a micro which I wanted to avoid. I think its like 210 for board and i5. You know anything on that MB?

Just remember buying a budget motherboard (package deal) could limit your overclocking ability.

I also wish people would quit saying future proof by buying the 1366. If you don't plan on spending 500-600 dollars or more for the i9, then it is no more futureproof then the 1156. It is only more expensive

As for the i5 661, it is not a quad-core. I came from a 3.6 Q6600 to a i5 750 (which is a quad-core). In terms of being faster, benchwise it is faster, but visually you can't really see the difference.

If money is an issue (and it sounds like it is with you wanting the package deal) then stick with the 1156 platform. Don't cheap out on the Motherboard though. Get a i5 661 if you only plan on gaming, but honestly you Q6600 will blow it away. If you want actual improvements, go with the i5 750 or i7 860.

If you just have money to blow and want bragging rights then be a clone and get the i7 920. IMO it is wayyyyyy overkill especially for the price for at least the next two years. My 2 Cents.

Isn't that package Fry's currently ran $205-$15MIR ?
Basically you get a motherboard for free. The only thing I don't like that it's not all solid caps.
I would wait...they would probably run it again with a better motherboard combo.

I don't think it runs hot at all. i5-661 has better IGP clock which is 900MHz vs others are lower.

What are you toughts on going cheaper on the processor.. say the i3 and really looking for a nice MB that can take the i3 to a nice 4.0..?? If so... whats a good i3 MB.. Thanks for the help! I guess there with the i3 at 4.0 I would think it would be worth the upgrade from where I am at... thoughts?

From Q6600..... best would be ị5-750 which would not cost a lot which you will see Frys re-run their ads like every 3 weeks with a nice motherboard combo.
I got mine for $200 with P55-UD3R
I would skip i3s, i5-650, 661, 670 entirely if I were you.....and return that AMD asap. If you bought that from Frys with no cash refund allowed, hold on to the credit for your next chance.

Otherwise, move on to ị5-750, i7-860 or i7-930 which would be a new release within a month worthwhile your upgrade.

Last edited:
I can wholeheartedly agree with Sam, skip the i3s and the i5 Dual core versions. You will be better sticking with the Q6600 then going with any of those. If you do choose to upgrade to the i-series, then i5 750 should be the lowest version your considering. You would be well advised to buy one component at a time, when you have the Mobo/Ram/CPU, then do your build and resell your Q6600/Mobo/Ram. It will give you around 200-250 dollars towards what you have built.

I would get the i5 750 over all of the dual cores. Even for a gaming rig I say that because I'm a gamer and I use the i7 920. What's nice about s1156 is that you have a wide variety of cpu's to choose from without having to worry about a socket change out.

Back