• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading or Downgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enrich

Ok guys my current rig is in my sig. My dad came home with these part's

MOBO: GA-M61PME-S2P

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor

Now if i were to use these I would be upgrading to a nice cpu, maybe oc it to 3.4 but I will be lose my 2 gb's of ram and I run win7x64.

Now would I notice a huge increase from this cpu or would the loss of 2 gbs of ram do a damage.

I could also upgrade to 2x2gb of ram later on but I'm not to sure, what do yall think?

The CPU is better clock for clock, and will hit 3.4-3.6ghz easily if the board is halfway decent.

I would actually be tempted to put the athlon II in your current board, it ought to support it with an updated bios.
The geforce 8200 chipset should do everything better then the 6100.

I am with Bobnova on this. Try flashing your current boards BiOS to one that supports AM3 (assuming it does) and put the 240 in there. I doubt you'd get very much OC'ing wise out of that 6100 chipset Gigabyte especially with only H/T 1.0 (2000 mt/s) when used with AM3. Post your current motherboard.

open the socket and turn the board upside down, pins ought to fall out of the socket.

I don't see any support for AM3 on the site or in the download section, looks like you're stuck with the gigabyte. I'd assume it'd be an upgrade, especially with well coded media players and games. This is because the newer regor will have better and faster instruction sets and will also out perform clock for clock. So hopefully the 2gig limitation and 2000mt/s HT wont offset that.

I'm gona try to tonight and I might check out the ready boost option to see if it helps. wish me luck

The CPU is better clock for clock, and will hit 3.4-3.6ghz easily if the board is halfway decent.

I would actually be tempted to put the athlon II in your current board, it ought to support it with an updated bios.
The geforce 8200 chipset should do everything better then the 6100.

I am with Bobnova on this. Try flashing your current boards BiOS to one that supports AM3 (assuming it does) and put the 240 in there. I doubt you'd get very much OC'ing wise out of that 6100 chipset Gigabyte especially with only H/T 1.0 (2000 mt/s) when used with AM3. Post your current motherboard.

Please, should hit not will hit 3.4-3.6ghz!!! Do you guys know how much is wasted because someone returns a perfectly good chip that will not OC or unlock? I think my sig says it best! Just needed to clarify that, all a chip must do is stock!

I suspect that you will find far, far more that won't hit 3.4 due to the mobo then due to the cpu.

You're right of course that the cpu is only guaranteed to hit stock, but i stand by my statement that with a decent board 3.4 is doable. I don't feel that i need to change my statement for the .001% that won't work.

I suspect that you will find far, far more that won't hit 3.4 due to the mobo then due to the cpu.

You're right of course that the cpu is only guaranteed to hit stock, but i stand by my statement that with a decent board 3.4 is doable. I don't feel that i need to change my statement for the .001% that won't work.

I disagree about the suspect 6100 chipset as well. My GA-M61P-S3 tops out @ around 340Mhz. Even if we're conservative and say his will only do 320 or even 300 that is more than enough w/ the x14 multi.

Back