• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balbert908

Registered
Hey guys,

I Installed Linux Mandrake 8.1 yesterday. I have a phoneline network and I connect by cable modem through my other machine. I have yet to be able to connect to the internet. I can however ping both machines. In Linux from the terminal. I know this isn't the place for this question but figured it was a good place to start since I always get good answers in this forum. Can anyone recomend a good forum for a new Linux user? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try www.linuxnewbie.org - great site. I'm not so good at linux networking issues, but my site includes some linux articles (can't plug it here tho - forum rules)

Awesome! Thanks! Found exactly what I needed at Linuxnewbie. I'm writing this message using Linux. It took 2 seconds. I just dowloaded a proxy program to my windows pc and configured the browser in Linux. Now I'm ready to explore!

balbert908 said:
Awesome! Thanks! Found exactly what I needed at Linuxnewbie. I'm writing this message using Linux. It took 2 seconds. I just dowloaded a proxy program to my windows pc and configured the browser in Linux. Now I'm ready to explore!

COngrats!
If I didn't I have a winmodem I'd be surfing in linux right now!

PenguinFreak said:

COngrats!
If I didn't I have a winmodem I'd be surfing in linux right now!

Now if only I can figure out hot to install a darn program! I keep reading instructions on differnet sites but I must be missing something. If I have downloaded the program file "imici-current.linux.x86.tar.gz" to my desktop, how do I now install it?

Open a text console and go to the directory where it is stored.
Do the following:

tar zxvf <myfile>.tar.gz
cd
to the dir that will be made
./configure
make
make install

PenguinFreak said:
Open a text console and go to the directory where it is stored.
Do the following:

tar zxvf <myfile>.tar.gz
cd
to the dir that will be made
./configure
make
make install

Ok now I'm pulling my hair out. (wait, I don't have any hair) lol. I did what you said. I downloaded mozilla it extracted fine and created the mozilla directory which I was able to cd to. When I try to run th ./configure command I get "no such file or directory". What gives? Thanks for your help. I would have given up a while ago if it wasn't for you. =)

Oh, mozilla.

If you go into the directory thats created after you extract the tar.gz, there's a mozilla executable in there. Just run it.

XWRed1 said:
Oh, mozilla.

If you go into the directory thats created after you extract the tar.gz, there's a mozilla executable in there. Just run it.

Dp you know what the file extention is? I looked for something like that and clicked on a bunch of files but no dice.

There is no extension. Its just called "mozilla". If you check the file permissions on it, you'll see its marked as executable.

Back