• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Sempron X2 2200 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flawless

Registered
Hello, I'm brand new here and am hoping for some one on one (as best as can be managed) instruction on how to overclock my new computer. Aside from being able to build a PC from the ground up and 14 years of experience (since I was a boy) I have never overclocked before nor done much with the BIOS. I have read and read and read about it, but can't seem to get the kind of information that makes me say "Wow that's not hard at all." While I am not looking for the "easy shortcut" way to do this or anything, I generally appreciate the feeling of at least understanding the basics of a given task.

Without further ado here are the specs of my system....

ASRock N68-S AM2+\AM2 1000Mhz FSB (HTT) w/ integrated Nvidia Geforce 7025 GPU (also something about untied overclocking ability)

G-Skill DDR2 800 2x1Ghz RAM 1.8-2.0v, 5-5-5-15 timing, 5 cas latency Dual Channel

AMD Sempron X2 2200 @ 2.0Ghz, 2x256 L2

I have been to various sites concerning overclocking and they all give a very vague overview on the "how-to" section.:bang head This failure to understand might be a result of me thinking it's more complicated than it is, nevertheless I am still in this pickle trying to figure out how to go about OCing.

Thanks!

Hello, I'm brand new here and am hoping for some one on one (as best as can be managed) instruction on how to overclock my new computer. Aside from being able to build a PC from the ground up and 14 years of experience (since I was a boy) I have never overclocked before nor done much with the BIOS. I have read and read and read about it, but can't seem to get the kind of information that makes me say "Wow that's not hard at all." While I am not looking for the "easy shortcut" way to do this or anything, I generally appreciate the feeling of at least understanding the basics of a given task.

Without further ado here are the specs of my system....

ASRock N68-S AM2+\AM2 1000Mhz FSB (HTT) w/ integrated Nvidia Geforce 7025 GPU (also something about untied overclocking ability)

G-Skill DDR2 800 2x1Ghz RAM 1.8-2.0v, 5-5-5-15 timing, 5 cas latency Dual Channel

AMD Sempron X2 2200 @ 2.0Ghz, 2x256 L2

I have been to various sites concerning overclocking and they all give a very vague overview on the "how-to" section.:bang head This failure to understand might be a result of me thinking it's more complicated than it is, nevertheless I am still in this pickle trying to figure out how to go about OCing.

Thanks!

Untied simply means that your PCI/PCIE bus is locked @ 33/100 respectively allowing larger bus increases w/out instability or hardware damage.

Reduce your HTT multiplier to 800mhz or 4x. (To keep it from scaling to high and causing instability)
Reduce memory freq. to 667 for now. Command rate 2T. See above^.

Slowly increase your FSB 5-10MHz @ a time(HT/Clock control whatever your BIOS likes to call it) restarting and booting Windows each time. When Windows fails to load increase Vcore (CPU voltage) a click. Try again.

Keep below 1.55v and 55C under load.

Once your stuck come back and we'll fine tune it.

Screen shots of CPU-Z CPU,memory and SPD tabs are always helpful in helping us help you.

Additional comment: Disable Cool n' Quiet.

Last edited:
If you don't mind reading have you run across this thread yet? http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=555058

That's about everything you always wanted to know about OC'ing an AM2 with a cheat sheet in post #26. Take a gander at that and post back any questions you may have. :)

It really isn't very complicated but there are a lot of simple steps involved, which sometimes makes it look complicated ...

@ OptyTrooper: Thanks for the step by step basics!

@ QuietIce: Thanks for the reading material. That looks like it will cover all the bases. I'll have to read that in installments though! :)

Additional Question: With this Untied Overclocking option active, A) will that prevent me from OCing the RAM in the pci slots? B) Would turning it off (if possible) after the FSB\Clock are OC'd cause it to attempt to sync with the settings? OR C) does it remain completely untied allowing me to overclock the untied slots separately from the other functions?

Sorry to double post... But would using ASRock's OC Tuner cut out all the extra complication while retaining the complete control of using BIOS and the programs mentioned in your linked article? I'm definitely leaning towards whichever allows me to have more complete control of this venture. Also I consider the 'more complicated' way a learning experience, but I'll go with whichever will suit my needs most appropriately.

A) RAM in PCI slots??? The video cards have VRAM (video RAM) on them but the motherboard's RAM slots (system memory) are not PCI and aren't tied in through the HT link either. All system RAM data goes through the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) which is part of the CPU. System RAM can be overclocked in a number of ways.

A-B) In any event, you want the PCI and PCIe clocks to remain at 33/66 MHz and 100 MHz, respectively. Much of a variance from that will cause havoc among your PCI/PCIe components, most notably your HDDs, which will most likely suffer data corruption. Older socket A boards often had the PCI clock tied directly to the FSB, which limited the amount of over-clocking that could be done using it. Socket 939 and up boards not only eliminated the FSB, they also locked the PCI and PCIe clocks or, like your board, at least had the option to lock those speeds. Tyeing them back together after you have raised the HTRef (aka reference clock, or what some people still call the FSB but isn't) will cause the PCI/PCIe clocks to be overclocked as much as your HTRef is, most likely leading to disaster.

C) PCIe can often be increased separately from the HTRef but so far there has been no reason to do so. PCIe already runs more than fast enough for all current video cards though there are programs designed to overclock the video card itself (see nVidia's nTune).

Using any program to overclock is a bad idea. Even the BIOS OC program that some boards have (+3%, +5%, etc) are never as good as doing it the "old fashioned" way by manually setting values in BIOS. Some Windows programs aren't too bad and can be used for quick-testing several intermediate steps but every so often it's still best to go back to BIOS and set those pre-tested values to make sure they'll hold long-term. For example, when you try increasing your HTRef from 200 to 210, 215, 220 and so on you could use OCTuner to test those. Once you start failing in OCTuner you should set those values in BIOS (and probably decrease them a little as well) and test them for real. Anything done with a Windows program is temporary at best, though those programs can be used to save a little time by testing those in-between steps.

Personally, I think it's a good idea for new OC'ers to do most of it manually at first - just to get used to the BIOS screens and what's in there. If nothing else the first few values changed for a given setting should be done manually so you don't forget where it is and what it does. It's like cruise control on a car. It's a great invention for us veterans but would you really want a 16-year-old using it the first time he drives on a freeway ...? ;)

Thank you for the clarification. Lol sometimes I get in a bit over my head and get my wires crossed (figuratively thank God!)

I went back and checked some of the other reading material that had me beating my head against the well in the first place and sure enough, 90% of it was dated 2000-2004. The way they talked about it was you had to tune this up then tune that down. I'm glad they are not tied in, that task seemed a bit daunting. The idea of it reminded me of tuning a Floyd Rose tremolo guitar (for you instrument buffs out there)

I have yet to be able to start overclocking the system because of finances. Hopefully I'll be getting that lovely Federal return soon and get it underway.

Anyhow I'm loving the quick response I'm getting from you guys on this matter. My typical approach is to Google the question and see what answers other people have received. I see now that it pays to be a little bit more proactive.

While I am waiting on the funds, I'll be cramming as much of the information on that link into my tiny brain as I can, and let you know the results and\or any hiccups I encounter!

I think i got the same parts you did from newegg. I also bought the GELID Solutions Slim Silence AM2 65mm Ball CPU Cooler. It's running stably at 2.6 GHz with the temperature on both CPUs at about 67C. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu Studio) and testing stability with 2 instances of burnK7 (trying to max out both CPUs). At 2.7 GHz it keep rising in temperature. At either 2.8 or 2.85 I was getting errors running System Stability Tester (calculates digits of pi).

Currently I'm running with the case open (an older Thermaltake case). I'll probably need to hook up at least some of the case fans when i finish.

Haven't done this type of thing for about 10 years :)

FWIW

I think i got the same parts you did from newegg. I also bought the GELID Solutions Slim Silence AM2 65mm Ball CPU Cooler. It's running stably at 2.6 GHz with the temperature on both CPUs at about 67C. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu Studio) and testing stability with 2 instances of burnK7 (trying to max out both CPUs). At 2.7 GHz it keep rising in temperature. At either 2.8 or 2.85 I was getting errors running System Stability Tester (calculates digits of pi).

Currently I'm running with the case open (an older Thermaltake case). I'll probably need to hook up at least some of the case fans when i finish.

Haven't done this type of thing for about 10 years :)

FWIW

If you hop back onto newegg look up Linkworld A617-01FFU+P08. I don't know what all you've got rattling around in your current case (I mention this for reasons regarding size and limited drive slots - you'll see what I mean...) but I was delighted to discover that this case had two 'hidden' 60mm fan slots behind the 5.25" removable optical bay.

With these I converted my 2 fan case into a 4 fan case.

I drilled eight 1/4" holes lining up with the fan's mounting holes so I could put them in without ripping the case apart (stubborn front panel) and maybe about 30 1/8" between those for the fans to draw air. Over top of the holes I duct taped a dryer sheet to filter the air.

I took the stock fans (2xGlobe Fans B/S0601512M) rated at 14CFM and put them up front for the intakes. I then ordered 2x EVERCOOL FAN-EC6020M12CA rated at 18.7 cfm for the exhaust... The minor variance between the cfm combined with the slightly bottlenecked intake is creating a lovely 'negative pressure' effect, making cooling a dream.

If you can do anything like this with your current case, I say go for it. You just need a taste for adventure and an eye for practicality over aesthetics (the duct tape and dryer sheet on the front is nothing short of hideous)

UPDATE: I still have yet to dare OCing. Though I have the pc set up right behind me access to QueitIce's AM2 OC guide, I'd rather understand what I'm doing instead of simply rotating in my chair following step by step instructions. I WILL post OC results soon.

I also recommend dropkicking that GELID cpu cooler out of a tall building and getting a Rosewill RCX-Z80-AL 80mm Sleeve CPU Cooler. Also on Newegg.... or of course anything better. I list budget items only :p

I agree of fan is crap. I was trying to cheaply get a computer back up and running (wanna play with electronic music). So I probably won't buy a new one until I need it (or I need something quieter).

Also, I used the async choice (separate FSB and PCI). Didn't have much time or patience.

Also, I used the async choice (separate FSB and PCI). Didn't have much time or patience.

As well you should. There is no good reason to have your PCI bus tied into the HT freq. when overclocking. The only outcome is instability, data corruption and possible hardware failure.

Flawless, with OCTuner, I got to 3.02ghz max running around 35C(95F) running not as well as 2.75ghz but still running. If I goto 305x10 it crashes. The fan I'm using is only $8.00 (Comes with fan manual fan control, knob in PCI slot) "Thermaltake Streetfighter A2235 80mm Heatsink Fan Upgrade Kit" Goes with a 80mm heat sink which is rather large.

Back