• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please delete other post, prime95 failing. need advice please..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sage0030

4gig of my 6gig of mem is only showing up after ocing the mem. please see bottom

my mem question is in my last post at the botton, any help would be appreciated, :bang head

Last edited:
What type of mem, and at what timings are you running, and what are the mem voltages?

A little system info would help....like what processor you are running, what vcore, mainboard, etc.
If your mem is running stock, then you should look into the processor...excessive heat,
or excessive volts can make prime fail.
Maybe what you should try is to run the mem as fast and tight as you can while clocking down the cpu and still get it to post, and run Memtest86+ and see if you run into any problems..in other words, try running the cpu at stock and up the memory multiplier to see where your memory craps out...then you can eliminate the memory as the problem.
Hope this helps,
Doc

What type of mem, and at what timings are you running, and what are the mem voltages?

A little system info would help....like what processor you are running, what vcore, mainboard, etc.
If your mem is running stock, then you should look into the processor...excessive heat,
or excessive volts can make prime fail.
Maybe what you should try is to run the mem as fast and tight as you can while clocking down the cpu and still get it to post, and run Memtest86+ and see if you run into any problems..in other words, try running the cpu at stock and up the memory multiplier to see where your memory craps out...then you can eliminate the memory as the problem.
Hope this helps,
Doc

hey bro thx for the reply, I figured out it was the cpu that was not stable, got it stable with prime95, ok here is my other question, I have my cpu i7 920 do oced to 3.7 is stable as can be for 6 hours temps load are 55c -58. I have tri channel mem 2000 was pretty expensive mem also, and when I try to set the memory to higher then 1600 - 2000 it only reads 4 gig of the stick and I have 6 gigs? what could be causing this??

Are you using a 32 bit OS?
Could be a marginal stick of mem...try swapping their respective posistions, maybe relax the timings, up the voltage (use caution here)..maybe increase the northbridge volts a tad,
And if you have already hit the wall, meaning that you can post at a certain level but cannot load windows...try going to that level and use the memtest cd to boot, and run memtest to see if that is where your porblem lies. If you do this one stick at a time, you will know where your mem tops out.
I'm not too familliar with to core I series, so I don't know if the memory controler hub is on the cpu die yet, and if that will effect your mem. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the core i series will chime in.
Good luck,
Doc

Back