• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

69-80 percent usage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cjlax5

im running the comp in my sig, and all the progs im running now are ICQ, AIM, mIRC, MBM5 and one IE. task manager shows that my cpu usage is between 69-100 percent right now. it does not always do that but does anyone know what program is using the cpu?

it just slowing things down and making me angery

I won't try to guess. Why not just turn each program off one at a time and see what one is causing it?

i did, ive gotten it down to nothing running, it sometimes does this in the middle of the night too, when no one is on the comp or has been for hours

i just found it by going to the process tab of task mangaer, it was Kazaa, and i closed it but it kept running, it didnt even show in the sys tray, i wonder what it was using my cpu for...

That is a peer-to-peer file sharing program.
I wouldn't want that running without my knowledge.

I definitely don't like any apps running without my consent, especially filesharing stuff - some of which install spyware by default!

You can end the process manually, should stop it.
As a security issue, ZoneAlarm (or similar personal firewall) should be able to prevent internet access even if something you don't know about is running; and nothing beats regular virus scans.

Back