• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 - Getting 4.2ghz HT enabled

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayveoh

Alright, so I am able to run 4.2ghz stable with HT disabled and I want to achieve 4.2 ghz with HT enabled. I also want the temps under 80 degrees.

Specs:
i7 920 BatchB D0 Stepping
Triple channel Kingston HyperX 1600 (2gb x 3)
V8 Cooler master

HIS 4670 1gb ddr3
700w PSU
Asus P6T SE mother board

Current Bios:
Cpu Ratio Setting: 21
Speed step: Disable
BCLK: 200
PCIE: 100
DRAM: 1603MHz
UCLK: auto
QPI Link Data Rate: 7218 mt/s

DRAM Timing: 8-8-8-24

Cpu Voltage: 1.35
Cpu PLL: 1.88
QPI/DRAM voltage: 1.4
IOH Voltage: 1.3
IOH PCIE: 1.5
ICH Voltage: 1.3
ICH PCIE: 1.5
DRAM Bus Voltage: 1.64 (I can't get it to 1.65 without it giving me a warning)

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Normal
CPU spread spectrum:Auto
IOH Clock Skew: Auto
PCIE spread Spectrum: Auto

Disabled:
C1E Support, Visualization Tech, HT,A20M, Speedstep, C-STATE

Enabled:
Hardware
Prefetcher, Cache line prefetch, TM Function, Execute Disable Bit,

What do I need to change in order to get HT enabled and stable with temps under 80 degrees?

or should I just aim for 4.4ghz with HT still disabled?

Thanks!

when you say "stable" what do you mean? Make sure you are first rock solid stable by using prime for at the least a couple of hours on blend and small fft. As for stabilizing, you can tweak your Uncore settings and memory timings, as well as bumping your QPI and Vcore voltages. What are your temps like at 4.2 with HT off?

when you say "stable" what do you mean? Make sure you are first rock solid stable by using prime for at the least a couple of hours on blend and small fft. As for stabilizing, you can tweak your Uncore settings and memory timings, as well as bumping your QPI and Vcore voltages. What are your temps like at 4.2 with HT off?

I ran P95 for about 2hours and 30mins

http://yfrog.com/5v42cropj

You're probably not going to be able to get to 4.2GHz stable with HT enabled AND stay under 80 degrees C on air cooling with your V8. HT really cranks up the temperature so I would suggest a water cooling setup.

You're probably not going to be able to get to 4.2GHz stable with HT enabled AND stay under 80 degrees C on air cooling with your V8. HT really cranks up the temperature so I would suggest a water cooling setup.

Well, I haven't tested if i could go any lower on the vcore for 4.2 HT off yet, so I might be able to get the vcore lower?

How about 4.4ghz ht off?

Some folks are running below 1.3v at 4.2GHz so yes, you could try that but I think they are the exception. Most people are around 1.35v at those settings. Will your memory handle being overclocked to 1680MHz? Mine doesn't overclock that far so I'm stuck at 4.2GHz.

Assuming your ambient air temperature is a relatively stable ~20degC, 4.2GHz HT on AIR is certainly attainable for 24/7 use. And in the case of my 920 and 950, it was doable at far less than 80degC. The question is, will your chip and board let you do it?

See HERE for some results I came up with.

Assuming your ambient air temperature is a relatively stable ~20degC, 4.2GHz HT on AIR is certainly attainable for 24/7 use. And in the case of my 920 and 950, it was doable at far less than 80degC. The question is, will your chip and board let you do it?

See HERE for some results I came up with.

Thats a nice test bed set up you got there.

I have temp problems too with HT enabled. At the moment i'm stable at 4368Mhz @ 1.325V no HT. Tried 4410Mhz but I get the Machine_Check_Exception BSOD. :bang head

There should be no need to go over 4GHz for anything other than benching. What is the 4.4GHz for if you don't mind me asking? You'll likely be much happier with a nice low voltage 4GHz HT enabled overclock, that strugling to keep 4.2-4.4GHz stable on air. Heck, even with high end water that's a fairly tall order.

ht is an 7-9degree increase on load.. and as bad said above.. not very useful for a 4.2+ and HT unless you are benching or folding a ton..

plus the v8 isnt the best air cooler around.. a megahalem with push/pull would probably reduce temps a good 6+ degrees and if you lapped it maybe up to 10ish area.. but spending the 100bucks on good fans+hsf is a tough order to swallow in my book.

I personally havent seen any reason to go over 3.8 @1.2ish volts with ht/speedstep on, so technically when needed im near a 4.0 with temps that are ok in my book.. especially when i rarely hit 100% load without p95 etc..

I backed my 24/7 overclock down to 4.0 with HT disabled just because 4.2GHz isn't necessary for what I do. I should probably back down even further to say 3.8GHz and lower my vcore to below 1.3v. 4.4Ghz is pushing things further than what I'm comfortable with.

Back