• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damesJ

Registered
I'm planning a new build and need some help on picking a case.

Specs are as follows:

• Asus P6X58D
  • i7-920
  • (2) Asus Radeon 5970 - Crossfire
  • OCZ Gold 6gb
  • Intel X25-M 160gb
  • Samsung F3 2tb
  • Corsair 1000HX PSU

I plan on running dual loop watercooling in the rig. I'm looking for a case that can accommodate 2 - 120.3 radiators internally, without too much modification. Don't really have a budget. So any suggestions are welcome.

So far the one case that really caught my interest is the TJ07. But I can't tell how much needs to be done to the case in order to fit the radiators. Appreciate the help guys.

Last edited:
If budget is no concern, Mountain Mods makes some of the best cases out there, in particular ones that can be sized to fit whatever you want. The U2 UFO Duality ( here ) has space for 2 120.3 rads in the front there, no modification necessary. You can even have them customize the spacing for the older style Thermochill Rads, or the standard fan spacing. They are very well regarded, as is the TJ-07 you mentioned. I'll let someone else chime in on the modification necessary, but you can fit 2 120.3s in there, it is possible. Quite a system you have spec'd out.
-Drew

Hmm I was looking into mountain mods before. I hear nothing but good things about them. However, I'm not sure how much I'm digging the whole "cube" look.

Sorry, it is the 5970. Busy season is taking its toll on me lol.

2 dell u2410s...I would like to add a 3rd one but I need more desk space first :(

With the stock TJ07 you'll only be able to fit a slimline dual rad in the top, something like a Black Ice Stealth. You could get a slimline triple rad in if you cut out the top of the case. You can't fit a full size rad in the top as even with slim fans the motherboard gets in the way.

You can get a Quad rad in the base and I've seen a mod somewhere (that I can't find now) that had 2 triple rads in the base. I'm not quite sure how that was managed as the PSU cables take up a lot of space in mine.

With the stock TJ07 you'll only be able to fit a slimline dual rad in the top, something like a Black Ice Stealth. You could get a slimline triple rad in if you cut out the top of the case. You can't fit a full size rad in the top as even with slim fans the motherboard gets in the way.

You can get a Quad rad in the base and I've seen a mod somewhere (that I can't find now) that had 2 triple rads in the base. I'm not quite sure how that was managed as the PSU cables take up a lot of space in mine.

Do you think a 240 radiator be enough for 2 overclocked 5970s? If not cutting out a part of the top to fix a 360 rad shouldn't be too difficult correct? I've never done modding to the case itself but gotta learn somehow haha

Cutting out the top is relatively easy, getting a new grille in there to match the rest of the case is the difficult bit.

I'm fairly inexperienced with watercooling but I would say that a slimline rad, whether 240 or 360 has little chance of cooling a pair of 5970s. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I will be buying either the Zalman GS-1000 Professional or the new Corsair D800. The Zalman is cheaper but the D800 is just slick. Yes, I will be going water or air if my budget after painting it kills me ;)

Back