• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching a Case LED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got a case with a very bright blue LED and I want to swap it wit a not so bright Red LED, now its connected to a small circuit board, is there any reason I can't unsolder it and put my Red one on ? I mean how hard is it so remove light it from the circuit board, it wont mess it up will it...

I got a case with a very bright blue LED and I want to swap it wit a not so bright Red LED, now its connected to a small circuit board, is there any reason I can't unsolder it and put my Red one on ? I mean how hard is it so remove light it from the circuit board, it wont mess it up will it...

use a low wattage soldering iron, nothing too hot you might unsolder more than you want to :D

No I don't see an issue with this. Have at it!!!!

I would try and find out if the circuit for the blue led will have enough resistance to keep from burning out your red led.

Does the circuit board aka (pcb) for the led simply have a single resistor in the circuit? a pic would be better to work with.

This may sound scary but its just a simple precarious measure and i only bring it up because not all leds will require anywhere near the same resistance as the next.

Back