• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Install for Benching. I have questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

I have a small 16GB SSD, I was wondering if it is at all worth it to Dual OS onto a 16GB SSD for Benching purposes.

Another question, could I install My windows 7 onto the SSD for benching and then onto my 500GB HDD for normal every day use, or would that be considered two installs? If so, I also have a copy of Windows XP - 32 as well as a copy of Windows Vista 64.

I am trying to figure out what the best combo would be for Benching purposes as well as every day use. (I use a 500GB USB drive for all of my media/documents/backups so I don't worry about crashing my main drive)

Any input will be appreciated.

the ssd's never gave me any help with any benches other than the pcmark ones that are geared for hdd performance. I would say not worth the time for that purpose. and I would also guess that it is one of the older generation drives that didnt perform for the small writes worth a crap anyway so, would almost for sure say no help at all.

I wasn't so much looking for speed advantages as the ability to dual boot onto a drive with minimal crap on it. Also boot times will be quicker between reboots and if there is a corruption, it will not be on my main drive.

they def boot up quick and nothing wrong with running one or several. just for benching purposes they dont really make any difference. But your day to day experience will be greatly improved.

Can I install Windows 7 two times. One on the SSD and one on the HDD? Just so I can do a dual boot?

i dont see why not, as it is only installed on the one computer, and only one copy will ever be running at one time

I am just curious if one of the drives registration would get disabled while registering the other.

I have never tried to install the same os on a computer but dont think you would have any issues with it

i did this years ago i had xp pro on my system twice,one instance was a clean install with no other programs other than games,and the other was for everything other than games.it worked back in xp but since vista there has been a new boot manager so i cant say for sure i did have two copys of vista on my system at one time one was x86 and the other was x64 tho

It will definitely work. I read up on the win7 boot manager when I was instaling a dual boot of 7 and xp. Win7 boot manager is the same as vista so you will be good with any combination of the above. I do believe that you can't dual boot two of the same OSes on anything before xp though (not an issue for you)....

Thank you for all of the input. I will definitely give this a whirl. I would like to see what all the hooplah is about and I just happen to have an extra mini SSD handy.

Well I installed Windows 7 to the SSD and it takes up all but about 500MB, so about 14.5GB. Probably not worth it. but I will see. gonna leave it in for a little bit, but I am sure after a couple of updates it will be full.

there are programs out there that will pare down the size of the windows install by removing things you may not need. I believe people have gotten the install down to 7 or 8 GB. I'm sure a quick google search will find you a tool, but maybe someone else here can point you at one that is actually good/reputable.

vlite is one of those programs, but you have to know what you can delete and what not to. many things that you remove have needed functions and would kill performance also.

I kind of thought it was going to be closer to Windows XP. I had read that 7 was supposed to fit "comfortably" on a 16GB SSD, well its not very comfortable. If it were 6-8GB without "lightnening" it up it might be worth it.

I will stick to my HDD. Maybe I will try to figure out a way to install just benchmarks/stress programs to run in Linux or something.

Back