• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future Gulftown release and Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

No, i am not testing one... i sooooo wish... just an inquiry for those that may have one for testing...

What can be expected for setting up FAH with Gulftown, not so much overall performance, but more along the lines of affinity's and running the client with all 12 cores... a single Bigadv is my goal. Would the Bigadv VM client just need the extra cores added in the .vmx file or would FAH team need to update the client software?

I only ask because the "roomer patrol" on some sites say the release should be soon... maybe March??? 3 weeks i hope! and this guy has a tax return to drop 1k on this beast the second its available!!! i don't want to waste no time configuring, unless i am forced to wait for a software update on the client itself. :rock::santa:

the current VM player supports upto 8 cores so that won't work. Im not sure but i would think the windows beta client will at some point support -bigadv. will 12 cores be benificial ? no idea, i know there are some posts about it at foldingforums.

Currently, you'll need to run native linux SMP -bigadv to get the most out of 12 logical cores.

As noted, VM player limits you to 8 cores (don't know if anyone has actually tried numvcpus="12", so a guinea pig may be in order).

THe Windows SMP2 client doesn't scale at all past 8 cores ATM, so that won't work.

Linux SMP2 -bigadv on 12 logical cores should get you close to 40,000 ppd at 3.7 GHz.

Sometime in Q2 a Gulftown should hit the retail shelves, I just hope an affordable desktop version will be available before Q3(or Q4); I'm just not willing to fork out a grand for an i7-980X.

For the price of one Gulftown to early adopters, you'll probably be able to by 2 i7 920s and decent motherboards and make 10,000 ppd more.

I totaly want to get that Dual Socket EVGA board. 24 cores... 7 fermi graphics cards :drool: I think it would need at least 3 1000 watt power supplies for that thing :/

For the price of one Gulftown to early adopters, you'll probably be able to by 2 i7 920s and decent motherboards and make 10,000 ppd more.

quite so, but the wife says i cant build another comp till we move back to the States... so in about 6 months... I figure by slapping a Gulftown in now (or shortly when its released) with the tax money, then in about 6 months when we move back and settle in, she will have forgotten, then i build an other Gulftown with the budget chip that should be released by that time!

Ahh, the dirty tricks up my sleeves! MUHAHAHHA!! :D

Back