• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Only recognizing 2 cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gvguy39

OK... I"m drawing a blank. I just replaced my dual core cpu with Phenom II 965, and windows as well as CPUID only recognized 2 cores. I reset CMOS and did the usual tweeks to set it at stock, etc. What am I missing for Windows to recognize all 4 cores? Device manager says there are four. I'm sure this is something simple, but I can't figure it out. Surely, I don't have to reinstall Win7??

Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Boot tab | "Advanced options" button | If "Number of processors" is checked, uncheck it, hit OK, and put a check in the "Make all boot settings permanent" checkbox... , hit OK, and reboot. If it isn't already checked, put a check in the "Number of processors" checkbox and select 4. Again put a check in the "Make all boot settings permanent" checkbox, hit OK, and reboot.

Hey, that did the trick, I don't think I would have found that on my own, I looked at the "number of processors" thing before but since there wasn't 4 cores listed, I didn't know what to do there. Thanks.

Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Boot tab | "Advanced options" button | If "Number of processors" is checked, uncheck it, hit OK, and put a check in the "Make all boot settings permanent" checkbox... , hit OK, and reboot. If it isn't already checked, put a check in the "Number of processors" checkbox and select 4. Again put a check in the "Make all boot settings permanent" checkbox, hit OK, and reboot.
And that procedure is for Win7 only?

Does it work for Vista as well?

How about XP?

I figured since we were on the subject I'd try to get all-inclusive instructions for future reference ... ;)

Back