• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP I wanna move files-another hdd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

With the win7 release candidate going south soon, I will be able to free up a drive, and my main drive is getting full, so I want to move my games over to the soon to be D:
Maybe I just need to back up my save games folders, and put them back after I reinstall the games?

It is amazing how fast a 100g hdd can fill up nowadays :screwy:

The reason I posted here instead of in the games topic, is that I might want to move more than just games to the secondary drive.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Doc

I usually copy the entire game folder where it's installed just to be on the safe side. Hasn't failed me, yet.

I usually copy the entire game folder where it's installed just to be on the safe side. Hasn't failed me, yet.

I do the same, but don't forget the folders in the \users directory. That's usually where the saves and config files are kept.

I didn't think XP had that. It's been a while since I've used XP.

No, you're right. It didn't click that it was XP. There should still be some user files under Application Data, and the games may have spread stuff other places in My Documents. You'd have to look through them all to make sure. I always backed up the whole My Documents structure in case I overlooked something, and needed it later.

No, you're right. It didn't click that it was XP. There should still be some user files under Application Data, and the games may have spread stuff other places in My Documents. You'd have to look through them all to make sure. I always backed up the whole My Documents structure in case I overlooked something, and needed it later.

Yeah, I do that, too. My EA games all save in My Docs.

I decided to just uninstall and reinstall, because come to think of it, I already beat those games, so I will want to start fresh anyway.

But 1st, I will use the suggestions made here, and give it a try before reinstalling, if nothing else, for the experience, and so as to not to have wasted your time answering my question.
Thanks all,
Doc

Back