• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good starters kit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benowns

Hey everyone.
I recently was able to build a new comp, and i wana OC it a little, but i would like it to be cooler.

Anyone got any good ideas for any starters kits?
Or i don't mind jumping in more advanced and installing it all slowly.

let me know guys.

My new CPU if yall needed to know, is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 on a GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
The bios allows for full control of all Voltage so it seems nice lol.

Thanks!

Beginner Kit hmmm--> can we know how much money can u spend on it? 200-250-300-350+
Mcr Drive 320 + Apogee Gtz or
Apogee XT for better temps.
They are some article-- watercooling for beginner spawn inc or conum should post them soon.

Hint : Avoid TT :)

Last edited:
the apogees are for intel boards are they not?

but i can spend around 350 to 400 on it

Might as well be customing it up with that kinda of budget. You could put something really nice together in that price range for sure. HK, MCR 320, D5, Tubing, compression fittings for a nice clean look, and youd could probably squeeze in under 300 all brand new. Id just start reading around a little here and maybe if you like over at XS.

edit: not sure why I cant find some of the old basics threads.

Last edited:
Do u live in Canada or U.S? :0
Mcr 320 around 50$
D5 (Mcp655 with speed controler) Around 75$
HK 3.0 - 78$
EK res or a bay res around 35 to 50$
or swifty res 23$
Tubing around 20$
Comp Fitting around 6$/piece
this an average estimation. around 250 without fittings.

Welcome to OCF!

For starters it would be nice to know more about your system. Making a sig so we can reference it would be a great help. For watercooling, knowing the chip, your GPU, your exact case would be a great start. Take a look at 10-20 sigs and build yours.

Your budget will be plenty enough. What you have to decide is cool just the CPU and no more, or cool the GPU later. You'll have to decide on the noise level you require. Very quiet means more radiator area. Depending on your case layout and your modding skills will determine if the radiator goes inside or outside the case.

Your best bet is to spend a few days or weeks hanging around, reading all you can learning whats out there. Reading all the current active posts and going back a few months. You'd be surprised how fast you can pick it up.

All the simple easy questions won't have to be asked again since they have been answered in tons of posts more than a few times. You can inform yourself.

I was a simple overclocker on air, and decided to look into water. I took my time and spent a few months having fun learning all about it. It was a perfect installation and I have never looked back.

So how you want to proceed is up to you, relaxed and careful, or just crazy frustration for all of us.

There is a Sticky up top here and a post just recently started just like yours with lots of good links in it.

In fact, it's right here. Many many questions can be answered by just diggin through previous posts, your question is asked about once a week. We help a lot of people build their first loops and we take pride in that.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635337

Last edited:
thanks everyone.
i will make that sig for yall soon.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
GPU: SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
PSU: Seventeam ST-650ZAF 650W ATX 12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE
Case: HEC 6BRBBB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
HDD: Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Memory: 2 X Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Thats my system, i have added 3 Fans Rexus NMB-MAT (Panaflo) 120mm Case Fan

Looking at the case, you don't have a lot of room inside. No idea if a 120x2 rad would fit in the top with fans, might hit the top of the Mobo. Hard to tell.

If your ONLY cooling the CPU and want good temps, a 120x2 rad would be enough. But if your going to cool a GPU later (your card isn't that loud to start with) then you should start with a 120x3 sized rad and hang it out the back. Many pics around showing rigs like that.

A good quality CPU only kit is this one. Very top notch parts. Like I said, it's enough rad for the CPU, but not enough if you WC the GPU later. You'd need a bigger rad.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Swiftech-H20-22-Ultima-XT-Liquid-Cooling-Kit-pr-4324.html

The plastic barbs on the res need replaced with good metal ones. The tubing that ships with the kit is okay, not the best stuff. The rad is the best bang for the buck, there are better rads in the same class but more money. The pump is quality, but it's the fixed speed one, still enough for your needs. The CPU block is top notch. The mini res is a good one.

So it's a good kit, but there are better rads, pumps, hoses and fittings out there. It depends what you want to do in the long term. Long term I'd get a bigger/better rad, better pump with a built in resivoiur, better hose, better hose clamps.

That will bump the price to $300 though. Adding the GPU for real quiet adds close to another $100.

Mcr drive 320 is 194$ on sidewinder
Add a Heatkiller 3.0 78$
And 4foot tubing 2.95 x 4
2barbs since mcr drive come with +4,00
it come to 290$ no taxe no shipping.
Add 3 yate loon (3.50 each) from petra or jab-tech
Since u are going to mount the rad outside of the case mcr drive are made for that purpose :)

all that looks good.
but yeah, i plan to be using the wc for a long while lol

Mcr drive 320 is 194$ on sidewinder
Add a Heatkiller 3.0 78$
And 4foot tubing 2.95 x 4
2barbs since mcr drive come with +4,00
it come to 290$ no taxe no shipping.
Add 3 yate loon (3.50 each) from petra or jab-tech
Since u are going to mount the rad outside of the case mcr drive are made for that purpose :)

i will take a look at that :)

Yes.

The AM2 and AM3 sockets are VERY much alike and only differ in the way the pins are done. AMD adjusted the AM3 socket so AM2 CPUs wouldn't fit - if they didn't people probably would have been trying it - but the external part of the socket, including the heatsink mounts, are exactly the same. ;)

In fact, heatsinks made for the s939 almost fit - there's a very slight difference in the height. It's very easy to modify a clip-on AM2/3 for s939 and vice versa. Bolt mounts have changed - s939 only had two centered bolts instead of the four-X pattern ...

Last edited:
Back