• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 in LGA 775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

Looking to upgrade the comp in my sig... Was planning a 30GB SSD and double my existing RAM from 2x4GB to 4x4GB and noticed DDR3 is now the same price as DDR2. So is it worth getting or should I also upgrade my mobo and CPU... it's no slouch but it could always be faster. :)

What do you use your comp for,that requires more then 4 GB's of memory ? 775 is not able to take much of an advantage with ddr3 over ddr2 .

What do you use your comp for,that requires more then 4 GB's of memory ? 775 is not able to take much of an advantage with ddr3 over ddr2 .

I agree with the first part here, likely hood of needing more than 4gb's is extremely unlikely. The most I've ever used was ~2.5gb. If you want to see how much you are using, just open and leave task manager up while doing your tasks and see just how much is being used.

Second, I have to disagree. I went from a P45 to a 790i ultra, from ddr2 1066 cas 5 to ddr3 2000 cas 9 and saw a large jump in memory bandwidth. HOWEVER, to change motherboards just for that reason at this point would be dumb. Better to upgrade to a P55 board with an I3 or something at the same time.

Third, SSD's are the bomb baby! Thats never a bad idea. Just make sure to atleast get the OCZ agility series, if not the vertex series. Don't get the solid's, they are poop.

If you are going to buy an new board with DDR3, I would just go with a newer chipset. I initially wanted to change out my E6750 for an E8400, then I got an E8600, then I got new DDR2, then I got 2 SSDs, then I ordered a P45 board, then a new PSU, then a GTX 285.

I should have just bought and i7 920. :)

Really though, I like 775 and once I sell of all the spares I will be good.

Well I'm a graphic designer by profession and started to dabble in video editing, I know the likes of Photoshop, Illustrator etc don't use a load of memory but often they are sluggish and take up over 6GB in cache on the HD. This I hope is where the SSD will come in handy, the 30GB OCZ Vertex is $90 AR and should be enough space.

I started looking for RAM as I'm building my wife a cheap comp: AMD Athlon II X2 240 on a ASUS M4A785 and for the price figured I'd give her my DDR2 and I'd get the DDR3 for myself.

Another option is too give her my sig comp but with a budget of $400/500 for Mobo, CPU, HD & RAM I dount I can get much better than what I have now.

Thanks for the response!

Another option is too give her my sig comp but with a budget of $400/500 for Mobo, CPU, HD & RAM I dount I can get much better than what I have now.

Thanks for the response!

Nonsense!

Mobo-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128420

CPU-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222

Ram- 2x

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148325

And of course the OCZ vertex-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227393

Slightly above the $500 before the MIR, but thats a pretty darn good setup for the money. If you need to skimp a little, the Pentium G6950 is $35 cheaper-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116283

But the I3 would be much better :)

OR just get 4gb for now and that would keep you well under $500.

Hmm that's not a bad price... I've been out the loop since I bought my last dual core 2. I presume even the cheapest LGA 1156 is better than what I have now, question is does anything benefit from these chips yet? I can play modern warfare 2 on full custom high without stuttering which I presume is primely down to the GPU. GTA4 could be higher but says it needs more RAM.

If I bought 4x2GB DDR3 sticks for my LGA775 board would they at least register and work as well as my current DDR2 ~ OC n' all? - This way when I need to upgrade my cpu/mobo I'll already have the RAM.

It's hard to know what direction the manufacturers go, but the selling point on the LGA775 was that all CPUs from now on will use that socket and it's worth upgrading... that lasted for about 6 months. I know it's impossible to future proof but game development is crawling, the graphics aren't really improving since the Xbox launched late 2005. I told myself I'll upgrade when CGI graphics are playable... at this rate it could be a while. :)

I'll have a think about the new cpu/mobo ~ in a way it doesn't make sense to buy a cheap AMD build when this sig comp will be dormant after upgrade, whenever that might be.

EDIT:

Intel Pentium G6950 Clarkdale 2.8GHz
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2H

- $164 combo

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz
ASUS M4A785-M

- $109 combo

= $55 difference (but no built in gfx)

Last edited:
You can't mix DDR2 and DDR3. Your current mobo only supports DDR2, and socket 1156 boards only support DDR3.

And yes the I3 whips the E7200 in anything. It's also an excellent gaming CPU, even better than an E8400. But yeah how much graphically stressed games you can play depends mostly on the GPU.

You can't mix DDR2 and DDR3. Your current mobo only supports DDR2, and socket 1156 boards only support DDR3.

And yes the I3 whips the E7200 in anything. It's also an excellent gaming CPU, even better than an E8400. But yeah how much graphically stressed games you can play depends mostly on the GPU.

I wouldn't be mixing, I was asking if I replace my DDR2 with DDR3 will it OC the same. AFAIK the P45 mobo supports DDR3.

I think the only bottleneck in my system is the limited RAM, everything else seems to run off the GFX.

Nope, just DDR2 on that board. There are some P45 boards that do support DDR3 though (EP45T-UD3P off the top of my head), I was thinking about that earlier as the extra memory bandwidth helps out in benchmarks. No befit in daily use though.

Since no one mentioned it, nvidia chipsets on a LGA775 setup are useless. P45/X48 or get a i3/5 setup.

Since no one mentioned it, nvidia chipsets on a LGA775 setup are useless. P45/X48 or get a i3/5 setup.

Whaaaa? My 790i Ultra with an X3210 quad did very well thank you very much. 3.6ghz overclock on a 2.13ghz 65nm chip on air :rock: And ddr3 2000 ram at full speed.

Whaaaa? My 790i Ultra with an X3210 quad did very well thank you very much. 3.6ghz overclock on a 2.13ghz 65nm chip on air :rock: And ddr3 2000 ram at full speed.

Probably would have hit 4ghz on a P45. ;)

Probably would have hit 4ghz on a P45. ;)

No.

Same clocks on a T-power I45 board. I upgraded to the 790i :santa:

Now I will admit, I had to set the Vcore slightly higher on the 790i BUT it was because there was more Vdroop.

Nvidia chipsets in general suck with quads and should likely only be used for SLI setups in that gen of socket. On 780/790i, 450FSB with a 65/45nm are about right. Much over 475 and you should start praying for more out of her. NOT a good quad overclocker. P45 (especially P5Q series Pro/Dx, and Gigabyte EP45 UD3P/L/Dx) should all hit 500FSB.

That biostar Tpower I45 board wasnt a dream for quads either. Though admitedly, I would have stuck with it over Nvidia chipsets unless I needed SLI.

That biostar Tpower I45 board wasnt a dream for quads either. Though admitedly, I would have stuck with it over Nvidia chipsets unless I needed SLI.

I didn't care for it a whole ton, not a fan of biostar much at all.

Yes I had two 9600gt's that I wanted to SLI and the 790i was available at the time so I bought it and ditched the P45 haha :eek:

Glutton for punishment are you?! SLI + Nvidia chipsets? hehe! :santa: :grouphug:

The Biostar T2RS or something like that was a beast in the dual core world. 600FSB IIRC... Not a fan of them either though. ;)

Anyway...I am drifting off topic yet again...

LOL. I liked the Bios layout and options on the EVGA 790i like a million times better.

Honestly, I did too. Loved the way you can set memory, showed actual voltage... etc..

Anyway, I am drifting a bit OT...sorry OP. :)

May I ask what programs/games benefit from Quads at close to 5GHz or even the new i3-7s ~ I am trying to justify an upgrade but can't see where I will benefit?

Back