• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The time is here. Buying new rig for my buddy.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

We've just basically came to a near-final decision about what we want. The only thing that's left is the PSU that we "need". I know about the good brands and the good models of those brands (using the power supply guide provided by our forums). But how much wattage will we need? We want the minimum as there will not be any upgrades of some sort (perhaps just an extra HDD). I used this PSU calculator but I just want to be sure.

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55M-UD2 Socket 1156 MicroATX
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.66GHz (hopefully can bring to 3.6 or more)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory: Corsair 3x1GB DDR3 Dominator 1600MHz @ 8-8-8-24
Graphics Card: MSI ATI Radeon HD5850
Harddrive: Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
Power Supply: ?

Sum: €776 + PSU = Total

I think the minimum of this rig will be 600W. We will overclock as much as possible on both the CPU and the GPU and also taking into account that it will be used for ~4 years. We'd rather have a modular one. Is my PSU good enough for it? I know mine is not recommended but I don't see a problem with it. It can't be more expensive than €80 (around $100 because it's more expensive over here).

Regards!

Yup easily to 4.0. Like all your choices, power supply I recommend the Corsair 650 watt. More than what he needs, but headroom for future upgrades.

yup confirmed it

4.2 at 1.49
4.0 at 1.43

If you have the cooling for it you can get to 4.0 without issue at all my friend.

Thank you for your reply. Well, we do have a top 10 cooler, but it is not in cooperation with a high-end motherboard. So we probably will have to push it hard to get to that. Anything like 3.6GHz will already make us happy.

Hello baris. I noticed that you're using 3 sticks of RAM on this build. Maybe that's a mistake? The i5 setup uses dual-channel so you'd want to go with a 2x2GB kit here.

Memory: Corsair 3x1GB DDR3 Dominator 1600MHz @ 8-8-8-24

+1 to the 2x2GB kit...

Looks like a nice system and I would think you should easily be able to run a 3.6 oc (even with low volts).

Hello baris. I noticed that you're using 3 sticks of RAM on this build. Maybe that's a mistake? The i5 setup uses dual-channel so you'd want to go with a 2x2GB kit here.

Really? I thought they ran in Triple Channel like i7's. See; that's why I needed to post :santa:

Thanks!

I repicked the RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24. By the way I picked 1600MHz. Not because we want those speeds, but because I read/hear that 1600MHz will result in much better overclocking. That is correct, right?

Really? I thought they ran in Triple Channel like i7's. See; that's why I needed to post :santa:

Thanks!

I repicked the RAM: Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24. By the way I picked 1600MHz. Not because we want those speeds, but because I read/hear that 1600MHz will result in much better overclocking. That is correct, right?

Only socket 1366 runs with triple channel. Socket 1156 is dual channel.
If you are going with 1600MHz DDR3 I would get a kit that has the lowest timings and still fits your budget.

Only socket 1366 runs with triple channel. Socket 1156 is dual channel.
If you are going with 1600MHz DDR3 I would get a kit that has the lowest timings and still fits your budget.

This is our absolute maximum budget that we're on now.

Yeah... it seems like there's no getting around that. Although it was an outcome I really hoped to avoid.
My motherboard was the p5wd2-Premium, and my processor is the intel pentium d 930.
Any recommendations for what I should replace it with? I thought of buying the same one, but maybe something with more potential for the future? (Upgrading etc.)

that Coolermaster hyper 212 should do the trick, you could also add another fan on the other side of the cooler and have a push pull setup going and help a little but(one of those coolermaster fans will run you about 10 dollars)

If you don't really want to buy a new cooler then you should overclock the i5 3.2ghz and let turbo boost take care of the rest.

This apparently is the most efficient overclock.

I do this and the temps are well under control with the stock cooler.

If you don't really want to buy a new cooler then you should overclock the i5 3.2ghz and let turbo boost take care of the rest.

This apparently is the most efficient overclock.

I do this and the temps are well under control with the stock cooler.

the only way for him to know how far he can push the oc is to do it and check the temps. His ambient and case configuration is going to play a role in the temps as well.

Let me see if I can find a benchmark for the 212 and get back with you

Yes there are people using the cooler and rocking out with 3.8-4.2 for 24/7 clocks and still keeping the temps within reason.

Stick with it you should be happy.

Goodluck on the build.

Yes there are people using the cooler and rocking out with 3.8-4.2 for 24/7 clocks and still keeping the temps within reason.

Stick with it you should be happy.

Goodluck on the build.

Thank you! Awesome. Is that with cheap P55's though? Or high-end boards?

here
Randomsite said:
With 2 fans, room temp 68F.

LinX: 3-50 runs at all memory (94-98% mem usage, problem size 21166, 3435MB, 53 Gflops) 65C average

Prime95 Blend for 12 hours: 60C average

Not bad since I have an older i5-750 that needs 1.325vcore to get it stable at 3.7Ghz. From some of the posts here and on other forums looks like the newer i5-750 need less vcore.
Asrock P55 Pro, bios V2.00, i5-750 3.70 Ghz @1.325V bios, Lian Li PC-7A Plus, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (2 fans) with TIM Consultants T-C Grease 0098, G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 @ 740 Mhz 9-9-9-24, 1.6V, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700, MSI NX8800GT, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

Another quote
Randomsite said:
My CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus keeps my i7-860 4.10GHz ~1.4v (CPU-Z) HT off at 68~71C in LinX at 1700rpm with the included fan or 4.0GHz with HT on @ 73~76C. Granted not using a comp case and AC MX-3 thermal paste.

For the price I'm very satisfied but damn I wish I would get some nice CPU samples for once so I don't have to push them to the very limits for aircooling to reach some satisfying clocks. Good samples would allow 4.25~4.3GHz at 1.4v. :s

The oc potential can vary quite a bit from chip to chip. If you get lucky... you could get a chip that overclcocks to 4.0GHz with low volts. I've seen screen shots posted on a few forums showing i5 750's that run 20x200 prime/linX stable with less than 1.3v vcore and even a couple with less than 1.25v vcore.

"Golden Chips" are "Da Bomb" :)

The oc potential can vary quite a bit from chip to chip. If you get lucky... you could get a chip that overclcocks to 4.0GHz with low volts. I've seen screen shots posted on a few forums showing i5 750's that run 20x200 prime/linX stable with less than 1.3v vcore and even a couple with less than 1.25v vcore.

"Golden Chips" are "Da Bomb" :)

I see. So it's practically random. Why is that? Could you give me some insight on that? Isn't the physical shape of all the chips 100% equal? What makes a chip overclock more than another?

I reckon this is the same for GPU's overclocks. Do you reckon this overclock I have on mine is good? I can get 912/1244 stable without touching voltages or cooling at a fan speed like 35%. I just keep it a wee bit lower because I don't need it nor do I want to push it, because one step higher was unstable. Just knocked it down a few notches.

Back