• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought Win 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade--HOWEVER!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shotokun16

Registered
So i just bought a win 7 upgrade but i realized it requires windows xp or vista currently installed? And i do not have either... ANd im currently running Win Ultimate RC 64 bit. So the question is i have the upgrade coming in the mail tomorrow and realize that i do not have any of those operating systems. Can i use my next door neighbors "legit" (i plead the 5th) windows xp would that work?

The Win 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade disk will have the option to do a clean install when you boot off the disk. You will see it when it opens up and you have to option to either upgrade or do a clean install :)

The Win 7 Pro 64-bit upgrade disk will have the option to do a clean install when you boot off the disk. You will see it when it opens up and you have to option to either upgrade or do a clean install :)

But i thought an upgrade requires windows xp or vista installed.
"Yes, but there’s a catch. Only Windows Vista users will be able to do an in-place upgrade. This means that Windows XP or 2000 users will be forced to do a clean install. Maximum PC readers are generally technical enough to know that this is a good idea anyway, but if your planning on upgrading PCs for friends and family, bring a USB hard drive and be prepared to stay awhile." -maximum PC

And i lack both windows xp and vista im currently relying 100% of my processing with windows RC ultimate 64-bit. In this case, the RC expires in 4-days!

theres a little trick to it.. if you are formating a blank disk, and it doesnt accept your upgrade key, you can just install it a second time and it thinks you upgraded, even if you didnt enter the key the first time.

theres a little trick to it.. if you are formating a blank disk, and it doesnt accept your upgrade key, you can just install it a second time and it thinks you upgraded, even if you didnt enter the key the first time.

lol wait what? Put the DVD in twice and format a blank DVD?

I formatted and had my SSD's empty cleaned. No os at all. I put the (win7) disk in the drive and have the pc boot off the disk. Once it's booted you will see 2 options:

1) Upgrade
and
2) Custom Install (clean install)

You select the 2nd option and let it run.

My disk is a windows 7 x64 Upgrade and that's how it's done.

if you are not successful yet you can extend your use of
RC by changing your date backwards on the pc, i just did it and i now have another year to figure out my problem

if you are not successful yet you can extend your use of
RC by changing your date backwards on the pc, i just did it and i now have another year to figure out my problem

lol wil that really work in bios
lol okay lets give it a swirl!

Back