• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound problems on PC build. Please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GMdoubleG

Hello all, I just put back together my PC and the audio shuts off about in hour into running the system. I have used the audio card before but not with my new i7 setup.

Here are my specs:
CPU: i7 920
MoBo: ASUS P6T deluxe ver 2
GPU: XFX 5870
Audio card: Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series (with front 5.25")
HDD's:
OS drive: Vertex 60GB SSD
Music HDD: Seagate 7200.11 1TB
Movies HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1.5TB
I use Bose head phones with a 1/4" adapter jack. No speakers.

All drivers are latest versions.

The problems that I am experiencing are very random at best. If I do one thing at a time, such as just listen to music, everything works fine. If I listen to music and browse the internet (youTube), then quickly turn off the music and watch the video, the audio becomes staticky. If I do this repeatedly, it can shut off. Also, I found the most problems when I use things from the same HDD, ie. listen to music and move around photos/videos on the same HDD. I thought it was because the drive was to full (17%free) so I have only music on the 1TB and movies on the 1.5TB.

I have tried to change all the variables to isolate the problems but I can't find it. I changed audio players, iTunes to Winamp. I changed movie players, WMP to VLC. I used Seagate HDD tools to check the drives and they check out fine. Also, if the audio turns off. It will come back after about 10-15min, or a restart. I thought it might be my Vertex SSD acting up but it seems only to be an audio problems.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks

The same problems occur. I turned off the on board sound and then restarted my computer. I was listening to a song in Winamp and watching a video on Youtube. The video had no noise so I was playing my own music. The music got crackily then stopped playing, then the video stopped as well.

Any ideas?

This might be a long shot but have you tried moving the card to a different slot?

Also if you did have onboard enabled at one point chances are Windows installed some drivers for it. Be sure to uninstall anything related to the onboard sound including drivers with a driver cleaner type of program. If that doesn't help you could uninstall (software and hardware) the X-fi card in Windows, shutdown and pull the X-Fi, reboot reactivate the onboard sound in BIOS, uninstall/disable onboard in Windows, reboot and disable onboard in BIOS, shutdown and install the X-Fi then reinstall X-Fi drivers. Sounds complicated but that's just because I wrote it all out :p basically you'd be making Windows forget about the X-Fi first, use the onboard temporarily but then uninstall onboard, then reinstall the X-Fi.

It seems that the audio is cut off when I switch from small format to full screen format when I watch Hulu videos. Could this be occurring because I changed a setting on my SSD? I followed some basic instructions to allow for better performance/life on my SSD and I'm not sure if those might be causing it.

Back