• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AA/AF and CPU usage...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

OK well I thought that AA and AF was pretty much all the GPU's job. Well, with my 8800gts overclocked to 750/1050 I did some testing. At 4.6ghz on my I3, it's pegged all the time at the max 90 FPS playing COD WAW. So, I wanted to try out some AA and AF settings. With both at 4x, it's 90 most of the time but drops to 77 in some intense scenes. However, with my CPU at 4.0ghz, everything else the same I saw low 50's as a minimum and not so much max of 90fps anymore. The FPS graph was a bunch of jagged ups and downs, not in a straight line mostly like when at 4.6ghz.

Anybody else ever notice this happening? According to task manager, the game never uses more than 25% of the CPU at both clock speeds. Two threads are pretty much steady at 50% most of the time while gaming.

Lower res= more CPU involvement.

I wouldnt expect CPU usage to increase or decrease significantly with AA/AF settings as that is handled by the GPU.

Do you have Vsync enabled? Or is there a fps cap on that game? The reason why its jagged is b/c its not hitting the artificial ceiling I believe is in place.. remove that on the 4.6Ghz testing and it will be jagged.

1920x1080.

Vsync is forced off.

FPS cap is ~90 like I said before. With AA/AF off it's pegged there the whole time with CPU at 4ghz and 4.6ghz. But with 4x/4x, there's a 20 FPS difference between 4.0 and 4.6ghz.

Oh I actually just opened up the config file and changed it, but it worked LOL. I didn't have much time to test yet though, will report back tomorrow.

Back