• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate Gaming Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prime81

I recently had to replace a Dell SE198WFP as it was failing randomly. I began searching around for gaming monitors as I am a very big gamer both cod4 and WoW. I wanted at least a 22 inch screen and at least 1680/1050 resolution with response time of 2-3ms.

What I found was a new monitor so to speak that operates at 1680/1050 with 120hz and 3ms GTG. This beauty of a LCD is the Samsung 2233RZ. The differense is like night and day, games are so much more smooth nearly liquid motion like and no tearing or ghosting what so ever. The colors are very good and this monitor has a good array of adjustments and features, it also has the capability to do 3D although I haven't ventured down that road.... yet. Although the price is alittle higher than some LCDs even 24inchers, the refreshrate alone is a BIG difference with games. For those of you who are looking for a top end gaming monitor, this monitor is definitely a thumbs up!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001311

Although 120Hz does sound very nice I would prefer a 22" to have the resolution of 1920x1200, I just think it would make games look a lot nicer.
I have to say it does look like a very nice monitor though and that's an amazingly good price.

I don't know about the ULTIMATE gaming display, but it is nice.

I'm sitting comfortable with my 3 LG 24" LED LCDs in eyefinity. :santa:

If you ever get bored of any of them I'll happily take them off your hands :p
Eyefnity does sound VERY nice but I'm heavily limited by desk space so 3 19" monitors is the maximum I would be able to go.

I recently had to replace a Dell SE198WFP as it was failing randomly. I began searching around for gaming monitors as I am a very big gamer both cod4 and WoW. I wanted at least a 22 inch screen and at least 1680/1050 resolution with response time of 2-3ms.

What I found was a new monitor so to speak that operates at 1680/1050 with 120hz and 3ms GTG. This beauty of a LCD is the Samsung 2233RZ. The differense is like night and day, games are so much more smooth nearly liquid motion like and no tearing or ghosting what so ever. The colors are very good and this monitor has a good array of adjustments and features, it also has the capability to do 3D although I haven't ventured down that road.... yet. Although the price is alittle higher than some LCDs even 24inchers, the refreshrate alone is a BIG difference with games. For those of you who are looking for a top end gaming monitor, this monitor is definitely a thumbs up!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001311

2233RZ was ok, but the new generation are out. 1680x1050 is just a bit small these days. Check out the AW2310 or GD235HZ if you want a modern 1080p 120hz LCD.

I have got to say though, the 120hz really makes a big difference. Things are liquid smooth as compared to before where I had tearing, ghosting, and frame latency issues.

does 120 hz really make THAT big of a difference without the 3d? i know its poinless if you can only get 60fps.... but i thought that a monitor showing 60hz vs 120hz didnt look that different!

T.T good job making me less sure about what monitor i was going to get... i was just about ready to buy a new monitor untill this :(

Rumor has a 27" 120hz LCD coming some time this spring or summer. I'm waiting :beer:

Hey Rat, I was reading some of the reviews and they say that while the picture is great and all the colors seem a little off. Is that the case in yours? More specifically the whites and light colors.

does 120 hz really make that much of a difference besides enabling you to use 3d???
:OO

if ur gfx card can pump out 120fps then yes... but in most modern games at native resolutions of these screens good luck with that. Ill stick with my 2209WA at 1680x1050@75hz ... better viewing angles n color accuracy than any of these TN panels. Oh and less input lag.

But to each his own.

There is no doubt my next monitor must be a 120hz.

Not sure if this is possible with an HDTV, meaning True 120Hz, not the 'frame adding' that most TV's do with features like TruMotion and stuff. So far I can't find info if there are any True 120hz HDTV's or if all of them are just 'artificial', only running 60hz while creating extra frames to make it look 'smoother', which also adds graphical glitches and artifacts.

Supposedly only PC monitors can do real 120hz right now. Hard to tell, since some people say HDTV's can and others say they can't, usually the companies that make HDTV's will try to convince you that it's real 120hz but from detailed reviews it's been shown that this is just a post-processing effect that artificially creates extra frames; similar to the "Time Warp" effect in Adobe Premiere (if you've used that, then you notice how it leaves behind lots of ugly artifacts that need to be manually cleaned frame by frame).

I actually don't mind staying with 1680x1050, because I can get almost any game to run at ~100 fps while maintaining almost max settings. Going to higher res along with 120hz would make that more difficult, meaning getting a better GPU or 2 GPU's, also meaning getting a better PSU. Currently, my goal of 60+ fps avg. is easily overcome in most games, but when going to a 120hz monitor that would double the goal to 120 or at least keep around 100 so I'm more inclined to keep the same res.

There is no doubt my next monitor must be a 120hz.

Not sure if this is possible with an HDTV, meaning True 120Hz, not the 'frame adding' that most TV's do with features like TruMotion and stuff. So far I can't find info if there are any True 120hz HDTV's or if all of them are just 'artificial', only running 60hz while creating extra frames to make it look 'smoother', which also adds graphical glitches and artifacts.

Supposedly only PC monitors can do real 120hz right now. Hard to tell, since some people say HDTV's can and others say they can't, usually the companies that make HDTV's will try to convince you that it's real 120hz but from detailed reviews it's been shown that this is just a post-processing effect that artificially creates extra frames; similar to the "Time Warp" effect in Adobe Premiere (if you've used that, then you notice how it leaves behind lots of ugly artifacts that need to be manually cleaned frame by frame).

I actually don't mind staying with 1680x1050, because I can get almost any game to run at ~100 fps while maintaining almost max settings. Going to higher res along with 120hz would make that more difficult, meaning getting a better GPU or 2 GPU's, also meaning getting a better PSU. Currently, my goal of 60+ fps avg. is easily overcome in most games, but when going to a 120hz monitor that would double the goal to 120 or at least keep around 100 so I'm more inclined to keep the same res.

3D HDTVs are coming:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40c7000-ue46c7000-20100223164.htm

they are this years 'big thing' all major manufactorers are bringing them out. (the above is just samsungs) you just have to look for 3d tvs NOT 120hz as 120hz in TV land usually means interpolated images

Let's not forget about the Nintendo 3DS while we are on the topic of 3D. I must say that Nintendo really did just sucker punch Apple and Sony with that little development, they have a massive edge by using proven technology like that in a format that is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered. It may sound like a gimmick to a lot of people, but on a handheld when you figure that there are going to be millions and millions of little kids (and some adults) who will want to buy that thing just so they can play 3D Pokemon is just another sure fire way for Nintendo to make money. They probably have the best business plan out of the big four.

omg ya! gaming consols need to come out with 3d soon! whatever major system comes out with it first will make a ton!

Back