• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is proper way?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KGH

What is the proper way to stop the folding on -bigadv WU? I need to reboot the suse server. (running smp in native linux, not vmware)
I tried Ctrl-C twice before and ended up re-downloading the WU again.

thanks

Ctrl-C is the proper way. However, people running on a ext4 (Ubuntu 9.10 default) file system have about a 50-50 chance of losing the WU, even when doing it right.

Kevin be sure to wait for the cores to stop after the Ctrl-C....it takes about 15 sec on my set up.

Knock on wood I have not lost any yet, that would be enough to make a grown man cry!!:cry: I stopped mine with out incident at 89% today.:eek:

thanks ChasR + dfonda.

yea it's going to be about 90% and I have to reboot :(

I will wait 10mins after ctrl-c .

As an additional precaution, prior to stopping the client with ctr-C, I copy the work folder, queue.dat, unitinfo.txt, FAHlog.txt, and FAHCore_a2.exe files to a backup folder, wait a minute, then copy the files to another backup folder. I make two sets just in case one set is bad due to write while copying. If the WU is trashed on the restart, delete the work folder and restore one of the backups.

As an additional precaution, prior to stopping the client with ctr-C, I copy the work folder, queue.dat, unitinfo.txt, FAHlog.txt, and FAHCore_a2.exe files to a backup folder, wait a minute, then copy the files to another backup folder. I make two sets just in case one set is bad due to write while copying. If the WU is trashed on the restart, delete the work folder and restore one of the backups.

Can't emphasize enough the importance of making backup copy of -bigadv wu PRIOR to stopping with CTRL-C.

Had two out of three -bigadv fail on restart after some maintenance this AM, but was able to recover both using the backup made prior to stopping with CTRL-C. One was at 50%, the other was 92%.

It takes an extra minute or so to make the backups, but saved over 3 days work this am.

Back