• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File and Printer sharing wont stay on Win7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DavidJa

As the title states i am unable to get file and printer sharing to stay on.
I set it to "turn on" in advanced sharing settings for home network and when i click save changes and check it again it is back "off".
File and printer sharing is installed for the network connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have your network setup with the "Let Homegroup manage my network" setting on? Maybe that could cause some problems with file and printer sharing.

And also have you went to your printer properties and tole it to "share this printer"?

As the title states i am unable to get file and printer sharing to stay on.
I set it to "turn on" in advanced sharing settings for home network and when i click save changes and check it again it is back "off".
File and printer sharing is installed for the network connection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have this same problem with WinXP - cannot find a "Let Homegroup manage my network" setting so presume this is something from Win7. Does anyone have any suggestions for xp settings?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Thank you, but have already done this. Since last posted have found out something that may be relative though. When I click on 'set up home or small office network', the wizard in turn goes through to the File and Printer sharing screen where you can either select to turn off file/printer sharing or turn it on. Even though I click to turn it on and then finish the wizard, if I go back into the wizard the turn off option is already selected when I get there. When I run the wizard on the netbook, once I have selected the turn on option, it stays there so that when I run the wizard again, the turn on option is still selected.

So it seems that the wizard is not accepting my turn on instruction on the file/printer sharing on the home pc for some reason.

Can anyone tell me how to make it accept my instruction please?

If you get it resolved please post the solution here Just another 7 tweak that needs fixing :)
My printer sharing works on windows 7 just takes like 15 minutes for it to actually print.

@Neuromancer- Check your IP's on both machines and make sure they are within the same IP range. At one point I had this same problem and come to find out my internal ip's were similar to this:
comp 1-192.168.1.101
comp 2-192.168.1.102
comp 3-192.168.72.64

And my printer would take forever to print.

@mamazaac:
Share and Share Alike

After I installed my new printer on the computer, I wanted to use it from other computers. I even wanted to print from my laptop computer, sitting on the patio, connecting to the network with a wireless NIC. Before I could do that, I had to share the printer. Windows XP doesn't automatically share printers, which is a good thing when you don't want to share your toys.

To share the printer, I opened the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that was connected to my printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.

In the Printers and Faxes folder, I clicked the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, I clicked Share This Printer.

I opened the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

I clicked Share Name, and then clicked OK.

That's it—the printer was immediately available for other computers to use.

Now that I had a network printer, I was ready to connect to it and print from other computers on the network.

To connect to the printer

I opened Control Panel, and clicked Printers and Other Hardware.

I clicked Add a Printer.

Instead of adding a local printer, though, I clicked Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

The whole process took less than a minute before I was printing to the network printer as though it was connected to the computer.

If I remember correctly this is all I had to do on XP to share my printer.

@Neuromancer- Check your IP's on both machines and make sure they are within the same IP range. At one point I had this same problem and come to find out my internal ip's were similar to this:
comp 1-192.168.1.101
comp 2-192.168.1.102
comp 3-192.168.72.64

And my printer would take forever to print.

Thank you, have already taken these steps. Do you think my IPs might be out as well? How do I check this please?

OK to check IP's.

Start command prompt:
Start->run-> type "CMD" without qoutes.

Then in this box type:
IPconfig /all

Do this for all comps on your network.

make sure the Ipv4 address of all computers are around the same number if not you may have to manually set them via your router's setup page.

Thank you for your reply FatCamel. They are pretty close, so no joy with that I fear.

Any other ideas please why I can't get the printer to work from the laptop?

Are you able to communicate with the other pc's on the network at all?

If so can you send and receive files over the network?

It seems that this problem is connected to a problem I have with the netbook not being able to access files on the pc remotely, only with an ethernet cable. The printing now works when the netbook is connected via ethernet, but not wirelessly. It seems that although the home pc will 'ping' the netbook successfully using its ip address, it cannot do it using the host name (although the netbook can ping the home pc successfully this way). I believe that if I can get that sorted out, the printing will follow.

If you think you can help with this problem I would welcome your advice, otherwise thank you for the help you have given.

Back