• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+ problem, is something dead or am I stupid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue Jester_2112

Ok, here's the problem...nothing boots:(

I just got my new 8KHA+, installed my new XP 1600+ and PAL8045. I put in one stick of crucial pc2100 and my Gainward GF3. Nothing else. I press the power button. What happens is all my fans begin to spin for a split second, the led's flash (no code) and it powers back down.

Here's what I've tried:

Different RAM
3 different psu's (2 generic and my main one is an enermax 350w)
different MB plate from a different case (to see if there was a short)
clearing the cmos
reseating everything

I haven't tried a different cpu, I don't got a spare unfortunately.

The board worked when I first got it, but the next day it started giving me this problem.

Any Ideas or is it just a bad board?

Edit: I've tried more since this post but still no luck, keep reading down.

Last edited:
It sounds like the ram might not be seated all the way in. What code are you getting? It is a well known issue that enermax PSs have problems with epox boards what size are the other PSs that you have tried?

I'll try reseating the RAM. The other PSU's were an old 250w and a generic 350w. I know they aren't up to snuff for an XP but they should be enough to get me to post at least. It doesn't actually give me a code. The LED's just flash for a split second.

Edit: Also, When it was working the 5v rail on the Enermax was 4.91-4.94 so I don't think that was the problem. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
I tried reseating the RAM but to no avail. I tried both sticks and different slots but still get the same result. :(

OK,

I tested out my psu on my server and that checks out so I don't think that's the problem. (Plus it did work ok the first day.)

I also checked both mem sticks on my roomates system and they check out fine.

I then swapped out my gf3 for a different vid card and that wasn't the problem (whew!)

I even tried my old gladiator HS/F just to see if the Pal8045 was causing some sort of problem.

I have double, triple, quadrouple, quintouple, sextouple (not sure what comes after sextouple, but I did that too) checked the jumpers on the board (both of em :D) And they are fine.

Finally I completely removed the board from the MB plate. I tried to boot up on a phone book with 1 stick of memory I had just tested, and the cpu and HS/F installed, nothing else. And it's still a no go.

As far as I can tell it has to be either the chip and the board.

I don't have a spare cpu to test unfortunately so I can't rule it out completely. However, I have inspected the chip under a magnifier and their is no physical damage of any kind. There is also no ASII on any of the bridges nor anywhere except on the core (a paper thin layer). There is also no evidence of burning on the chip or bent pins. Beyond that, I suspect that, if it were the chip, the fans would still continue to spin at the very least and the board would give me a post code indicating a problem with the cpu.

This leaves me with a single conclusion, it's the board :(

I'd still like some input on this please. Let me know what you all think the situation is or at least what may have caused it. Are my methods for coming to this conclusion correct? Have I done anything incorrectly? I'm going to request an RMA # from newegg tommorrow.

Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

Blue

One side note: Even though the board appears to be the problem, it does not give me an FF code which would indicate a dead board.

Last edited:
I had similar problems getting my first 8KHA+ to post. I'd go about it this way, try each of the following, once with the power cord in a non-isolated bank of your surge protector and once with the power cord plugged directly into a wall socket: 1. hook up just one stick of RAM, the generic 350w PSU and the board and see if it will post. 2. if it doesn't, put in a different stick of RAM and see if it will post. 3. if it still doesn't, get a non-Enermax PSU such as an Antec that's at least 350w and repeat the previous steps. After trying this, I RMA'd my first 8KHA+ and my second posted right the first try. You might have a short in the board.

Yup, that was the first place I went, thanks anyway though.
My RMA was approved this afternoon so off it goes.

Back