• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Update problems.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shard

Alright, so I am helping my friend update his PS3 so he can play Heavy Rain. No biggie right? No, a whole day wasted is what it is.

So I guess he bought his PS3 Slim in December, and never updated it. A lot of people do that, so no worries. It plays a variety of different games no problem, Infamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc. So the other day we pick up Heavy Rain. Pop it in, says time to install an update. Figure no issue, seen this stuff on the 360 before and let it go it's way. After running a bit it stops and gives us the error of 8002F994. After a quick look up on the net on what it means we realize it is associated with a problem with the update. Figure lets try to do it a different way.

Boy were we in for a surprise. So first thing up, we try to do the internet update right on the machine. Let it run for a bit, BAM, error again. From what we had read on a bunch of boards, they say just keep trying it until it works. So while it keeps trying, and failing, we do some more searching. Lo and behold, we find the ports needed for the PS3. So we go ahead and forward them and try again. No change. Now we are getting annoyed. Double checked to make sure that nothing was connected to the USB, no game in the drive, nothing but the Dual Shock 3 controller we were using. Yet again, endless errors over and over, of the same type. So, back to the internet. Find out we can update via USB drive. Well wish we had seen that earlier, and figure that should easily fix our issue. So after hunting a bit for the proper update, 3.15, we go ahead and download it and stick it on a known good USB drive. Pop it into the PS3. No dice, doesnt event detect it. Well, that is odd we think. Next up, we try an older update, 3.0, still nothing. Mind you this PS3 Slim is currently sporting the 2.85 update for reference. So back to the drawing board. Come up with some ideas like changing the USB drive to a FAT32 instead of NTFS. Waste of time and energy there, no change. So after getting some food and coming back to do some more reading we realize that maybe we should just reset the PS3 to default settings (not the system reset). After that we give it another go. Nope, and about this time the thoughts of playing PS3 discus was rising to the forefront of our very angry minds. After all this, we figure, lets play it safe before something gets broken and stick the Heavy Rain disc back in and let it go. Yeah, lesson in futility.

Now, before we do a full system wipe, did we miss anything? Anything you guys can think of that we have not tried? If so let us know before a poor PS3 goes the way of the Dodo.

Alright, so I am helping my friend update his PS3 so he can play Heavy Rain. No biggie right? No, a whole day wasted is what it is.

So I guess he bought his PS3 Slim in December, and never updated it. A lot of people do that, so no worries. It plays a variety of different games no problem, Infamous, Batman: Arkham Asylum, etc. So the other day we pick up Heavy Rain. Pop it in, says time to install an update. Figure no issue, seen this stuff on the 360 before and let it go it's way. After running a bit it stops and gives us the error of 8002F994. After a quick look up on the net on what it means we realize it is associated with a problem with the update. Figure lets try to do it a different way.

Boy were we in for a surprise. So first thing up, we try to do the internet update right on the machine. Let it run for a bit, BAM, error again. From what we had read on a bunch of boards, they say just keep trying it until it works. So while it keeps trying, and failing, we do some more searching. Lo and behold, we find the ports needed for the PS3. So we go ahead and forward them and try again. No change. Now we are getting annoyed. Double checked to make sure that nothing was connected to the USB, no game in the drive, nothing but the Dual Shock 3 controller we were using. Yet again, endless errors over and over, of the same type. So, back to the internet. Find out we can update via USB drive. Well wish we had seen that earlier, and figure that should easily fix our issue. So after hunting a bit for the proper update, 3.15, we go ahead and download it and stick it on a known good USB drive. Pop it into the PS3. No dice, doesnt event detect it. Well, that is odd we think. Next up, we try an older update, 3.0, still nothing. Mind you this PS3 Slim is currently sporting the 2.85 update for reference. So back to the drawing board. Come up with some ideas like changing the USB drive to a FAT32 instead of NTFS. Waste of time and energy there, no change. So after getting some food and coming back to do some more reading we realize that maybe we should just reset the PS3 to default settings (not the system reset). After that we give it another go. Nope, and about this time the thoughts of playing PS3 discus was rising to the forefront of our very angry minds. After all this, we figure, lets play it safe before something gets broken and stick the Heavy Rain disc back in and let it go. Yeah, lesson in futility.

Now, before we do a full system wipe, did we miss anything? Anything you guys can think of that we have not tried? If so let us know before a poor PS3 goes the way of the Dodo.

Look who just happens to be up at 3:59am :)

SURE you missed something: You didn't come HERE all those times you "asked the internet!"

First off: The thing with the USB not working is BS.

It HAS to work.

If your PS3 still turns on then your USB has to work. (I'm going to do this in double in triple posts before you do something stupid.)

Next:

1. The USB drive HAS to be FAT32. That's why it didn't work the first time.
2. Just because you have it in FAT32 doesn't mean it'll automatically detect a system update. You need to follow the folder Hierarchy which is X:\PS3\UPDATE (or something like that) and your update belongs in the update folder (same as PS3).
3. If this doesn't work... try a different USB key formatted to FAT32 (or even FAT16 if it comes to that.)

Look who just happens to be up at 3:59am :)

SURE you missed something: You didn't come HERE all those times you "asked the internet!"

First off: The thing with the USB not working is BS.

It HAS to work.

If your PS3 still turns on then your USB has to work. (I'm going to do this in double in triple posts before you do something stupid.)

What do you mean?

The main reason I had not come here is that for the most part this is a PC forum ;) Also I quickly realized that most of the rest of the internet is full of idiots that really know nothing.

As for the USB, I am not sure what you mean it should work. It quite simply didnt work. I would have it search the USB drive for an update, and it would not detect anything. I had the folder structures set up properly PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP and it plain did not detect any of the version I tossed up. Even made sure that they were for the US version and not UK or Euro.

NOW... the reason why the update was failing in the first place:

1. Your buddy never connected to the network (if his machine wasn't updated then he didn't realize that he had a connectivity issue) so he had an internet connection issue that he was unaware of
2. Run the Internet Connection Test and report the EXACT RESULTS back here.

Team Rainless will be waiting.

NOW... the reason why the update was failing in the first place:

1. Your buddy never connected to the network (if his machine wasn't updated then he didn't realize that he had a connectivity issue) so he had an internet connection issue that he was unaware of
2. Run the Internet Connection Test and report the EXACT RESULTS back here.

Team Rainless will be waiting.

Obtain IP address and Internet connection both succeeded.

What do you mean?

The main reason I had not come here is that for the most part this is a PC forum ;) Also I quickly realized that most of the rest of the internet is full of idiots that really know nothing.

As for the USB, I am not sure what you mean it should work. It quite simply didnt work. I would have it search the USB drive for an update, and it would not detect anything. I had the folder structures set up properly PS3>UPDATE>PS3UPDAT.PUP and it plain did not detect any of the version I tossed up. Even made sure that they were for the US version and not UK or Euro.

If there's a USB key inserted into the PS3... and that USB key is correctly formatted for FAT32... then the PS3 will detect it. That's all there is to it. Try putting some pictures or movies, or MP3s on the USB key (any directory would do) press the "triangle button" and select "View All". This will let you see EVERYTHING on the USB key instead of just what's in the PS3 folder. If you can't see ANYTHING? Then the fault lies in your USB key... not the PS3. Try another one.

If there's a USB key inserted into the PS3... and that USB key is correctly formatted for FAT32... then the PS3 will detect it. That's all there is to it. Try putting some pictures or movies, or MP3s on the USB key (any directory would do) press the "triangle button" and select "View All". This will let you see EVERYTHING on the USB key instead of just what's in the PS3 folder. If you can't see ANYTHING? Then the fault lies in your USB key... not the PS3. Try another one.

After reformatting again to FAT32, it now detects it. Now to see if it works ;)

Obtain IP address and Internet connection both succeeded.

Ok. What about the REST of the internet connection test? I need to know EXACTLY what it says. I'm assuming the PSN connection test failed because you haven't updated... but what about the rest? (Specifically I'm looking for UPNP and NAT test results.)

Mind you... Step 1 would be to get a good USB key up and running. Then we can work backwards on the internet connection thing. (This might be easier to handle if you have Yahoo messenger... or even Skype.)

Ok. What about the REST of the internet connection test? I need to know EXACTLY what it says. I'm assuming the PSN connection test failed because you haven't updated... but what about the rest? (Specifically I'm looking for UPNP and NAT test results.)

Mind you... Step 1 would be to get a good USB key up and running. Then we can work backwards on the internet connection thing. (This might be easier to handle if you have Yahoo messenger... or even Skype.)

I am on steam foo.

Ok, update failed with same code.

As for the network test results, everytime I run the test it spits out what I said earlier (not much at all) and says I require an update.

Am I using the wrong test?

Doesn't the PS3 allow you to update via a burned disc as well? Can't you just burn the update to a CD, pop it into the PS3, and update it that way?

Personally, I've never had a problem updating my PS3. It's setup to use my Wireless router.

Also, I just did a Quick look via google.

It appears that the Folders are Case Sensative. At least, That's what someone said. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's worth a shot. So don't make the folders named "ps3 and update" or "Ps3 and Update". Make sure it's ALL caps. put the update file in the UPDATE folder.

Same thing when burning to a CD. Create a folder named PS3 and then a folder named UPDATE in the PS3 folder, then put the update file in the UPDATE folder.

Were your folders on the USB key in all caps? Worth a shot.

EDIT: Just checked the official SONY site for the PS3. Yes, the folders HAVE to be in all caps. So make sure your folders are all capitalized.

Edit 2: When updating via USB drive, Go to Settings--> System Update-->Update via Storage medium. The PS3 will then search for the update.

Last edited:
Doesn't the PS3 allow you to update via a burned disc as well? Can't you just burn the update to a CD, pop it into the PS3, and update it that way?

Personally, I've never had a problem updating my PS3. It's setup to use my Wireless router.

Also, I just did a Quick look via google.

It appears that the Folders are Case Sensative. At least, That's what someone said. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's worth a shot. So don't make the folders named "ps3 and update" or "Ps3 and Update". Make sure it's ALL caps. put the update file in the UPDATE folder.

Same thing when burning to a CD. Create a folder named PS3 and then a folder named UPDATE in the PS3 folder, then put the update file in the UPDATE folder.

Were your folders on the USB key in all caps? Worth a shot.

EDIT: Just checked the official SONY site for the PS3. Yes, the folders HAVE to be in all caps. So make sure your folders are all capitalized.

Edit 2: When updating via USB drive, Go to Settings--> System Update-->Update via Storage medium. The PS3 will then search for the update.

Update: After re-reformatting it detects the USB. Updates to 80% and gets the 8002f994 error every time. Even after a system restore.

according to my quick research, 8002f994 is a network error and usually has to do with Sony's slow as molasses network.

As Rainless said, formatting a FAT32 USB drive, copying the update downloaded from Sony to this folder structure: "PS3/UPDATE" should work. It does have to be in caps.

www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

Yeah I got up at 4am and worked with him for an hour over skype trying to fix it. We got the USB drive to work: No dice. He's going to have to call Sony... and possibly send it in.

Seriously, it's kind of scary that there is a good chance one bad update is going to mess up the console. Especially if that console is out of warranty, and you are out of luck.

Back