• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 and OE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

Hello all, Like many of you, I played with win7 RC and am wondering if Outlook express will be included in the final version?
I hate Outlook but like OE....and I never use online email.
I would rather download my mail to my inbox and view it at my leisure.

If OE is not included, then what prog would you all recomend that is a close match to OE?
Thank you in advance,
Doc

There's Thunderbird also. That's my choice since it's open source. You're less likely to have your mail held hostage by a proprietary application.

Yea, tried T-bird...it's too complicated for most of the computer users that I know (over 60 crowd). I'm going to check out Eudora and see how it works and feels. I can't recommend a prog if I haven't tried it 1st.

We will see if Windows Live mail is ok for me....I plan on dumping XP onto one of my refurbed systems and upgrade this one to win7.
Thanks for the suggestions..will report back as to which I like best.

Edit: rather than adding another post, I decided to edit this one.
So far, I like Windows Live mail....looks and feels like OE except for the "send/receive" button. I assume that is the "sync" button?
The included smillies are a plus for the above mentioned crowd, and I think I will recommend it to my Mom and see how she likes it...My Mom is a good barometer of techie things like this, and is she likes or hates it, then it's a good bet that others in her generation will think likewise.
Thanks fer the link Redduc, and for the registry thing in the storage thread.

Last edited:
Well, I tried Windows Live mail, and I like it...enough to recommend to my Ma.
she has tried it and loves it too, so this is the one I will recommend to the Joe and Janes out there. It looks and feels like OE and the smilies are a plus.
Thanks to all for the replies,
Doc

FYI Windows Live Mail IS Outlook Express. Or at least its the newest version of it, just renamed to go along with the rest of MS's Live naming scheme.

Well, I just hope they improved the engine, because the old one kept giving my Mom fits with errors on her machine, and I got calls from her all the time asking for me to come fix it.
I rebuilt the innards of OE a couple of times on her machine..which is screwy because all she ever does is email and light surfing.
When I get some money ahead, I will upgrade her to Win7 and hopefully her email troubles will be gone.
I never have trouble with email myself, and I deal with hundreds of inbound a day and several accounts at work using OE, but obviously not all machines are the same..and I can't see what my Mom is clicking when she does her mail, so I just try to use the KISS principal when it comes to using and recommending applications, but yea, I kinda figured it was an improvement of OE, not so much a new app.

Back